Wednesday, August 25, 2021

No holidays….

 I will confess, first of all, that my blogging motivation is greatly lacking.  I didn’t need to tell you that, did I? LOL

In a month of no holidays, The Husband and I chose the date of our marriage, the 16th of August, giving us a reason for celebrating something in this month.  It has been 52 years since that wedding day!

Why is it that all the pictures I took from our time away to celebrate are food-related?  I keep telling myself that there are other photo-worthy opportunities, then wind up not remembering to take a picture at all!

It looks like I’m going to have to rely on words rather than pictures this morning, as this system isn’t cooperating with my efforts to post pictures!

For a number of years, our anniversary was the only celebration in August….until 15 years ago when Munchkin #2 was born!  She came along on the 14th, and has brought joy and sunshine to all of us ever since!  It’s always fun to put together a birthday surprise for her.

We headed out on a short trip to Abingdon, VA to celebrate our anniversary.  This has been a favorite destination for a long time.  I lived in Abingdon for two years in the sixties, and there are still friends there.  It was really good to be able to visit on this trip, thanks to the vaccine!

The Barter Theater in Abingdon has been able to make arrangements to use the Moonlite Drive-In facilities for outdoor performances during the pandemic.  Unfortunately, lightning/thunder/rain interfered, and the show was called.  We’ll try for one again another time.  It is hoped that performances will be able to resume in the theater. 



Well, I gave it one more try and was successful, though the pictures have appeared here in a different order than I directed.  

Chips and salsa….great appetizer at The Old Mill in Damascus, VA, eating outdoors on the patio next to the water.  Spaghetti and meatballs, The Husband’s favorite, at Mama Mia’s in Abingdon, and the Greek salad, always a favorite of mine.  On this occasion we were seated outdoors when a sudden storm appeared!  Out waitress ran out to help move us back inside with only a few raindrops being blown about us! 

The current upsurge in COVID cases in our area, plus the “breakthrough” cases, have us following precautions once again, at least until we qualify for our booster vaccine.  

Take care, and be safe!


9 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get away and had a good trip. Once again, I'm being more careful and changing/cutting out travel plans. Hoping for a booster sometime in the next few months, but grateful to still be able to get out more than before the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sister! What a lovely trip you had! I'm so glad you were able to spend a few days away from the everyday things that clutter your time when you're at home. And, I agree that Munchkin #2 is a joy to everyone who knows her! Hard to believe that she's now 15! As for precautions, I'm still wearing a mask when in public - never stopped doing that, and I'm limiting my trips to nonessential places. I'm still attending church in person, but my mask attends with me (it needs to hear about the Lord, too.) LOL I'll be really glad when all this is over, and I'm sure it will be, eventually. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In spite of the weather, you and your sweetheart have much to celebrate! Happy Anniversary, my friend. I'm glad you were able to celebrate at a place so familiar to you. The food looks yummy and would have made me happy!
    The breakthrough cases is of great concern. We are still masking and waiting for that booster as well. Stay safe and well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Anniversary Nellie. I'm glad that you could get away to celebrate even though you had to take cover from the sudden rain. The food looks really good.

    Happy Belated Birthday to Munchkin #2 also.

    In our area, everything is open but when I go out I still wear a mask and sanitize.

    Stay safe and well.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary a little late. Nice you were able to take a little trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary, Nellie. Your little trip sounds lovely. And how special to share August's celebrations with your Munchkin #2. You mention your photos or lack of them. I realize most of my photos are floral-garden related with a few book and food pics thrown in. Very few photos with people. Of course, we're not seeing many people these days to begin with, even with things open now. And it's only on the rarest of occasions that I would post pics online of family or friends.

    Hope you have a wonderful day......
    Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Happily Ever After to you and your groom ! Looks like you had a great celebration !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! We also married in August (45 years ago) for pretty much the same reason (well, that, and we were antsy, LOL). The Lord bless you and your husband with happiness and health in the coming years as He has in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary Nellie! The food looks delicious, and spaghetti and meatballs is one of my favorites. The chips and salsa, YUMMY! It sounds like you had a nice time on your anniversary. 52 years, that's special, indeed.

    Have a good week ahead, Nellie.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete