Thursday, February 15, 2024

Winter pleasures….

 Hello!  Wow!!  Checking the stats for views of my last blog post….over 200!!  Some of you perhaps keep checking to see if I’ve updated my entries…or perhaps it’s the title.  I don’t recall ever having that many views! 

This February has been packed with special events, beginning with Groundhog Day.  We don’t have a resident groundhog here currently, so there was no chance of a picture to see if he saw his shadow.  

The mantle shows some of the special days this month.

February 10 was the Lunar New Year.  This is the Year of the Dragon, which coincidentally occurred the year I was born!  Celebrations may continue for several days because this is considered a greater than usual year. 

The table setting is ready for all of the special days!

February 13 was Mardi Gras.  No King Cake here this year.  On past blog posts, I’ve shown the progress as I proceeded to bake our own.  

Then, Wednesday was not only Valentine’s Day, it was also Ash Wednesday, with Easter’s earlier arrival this year.

We began our Valentine’s Day with Quiche Lorraine and Blueberry Muffins, thanks to my favorite grocery.


The Husband and I were able to go out for a Valentine’s Day dinner.

The bread was so good, especially dipped in that oil!
I chose the salmon.  The Husband chose stuffed cod.
Time has been spent in the kitchen, however, for home-cooked meals.

Lots of chopping for this very tasty Root Vegetable Soup!

Toasted oats were also an ingredient!



It was delicious!  The recipe is in the Grit Magazine for March/April 2023.

Of course, dessert receives some attention.  This time it was Black Forest Cake, first time for baking it.




The cake was very well-received!

February has been full of special observations.  We still have Presidents Day, plus there is that extra day in the month included this year….Leap Year!

Oh, one more thing I didn’t include above.  When I was shopping at World Market, there was a Lunar New Year chart on display.  


Can you find your year?

Thank you for being here.  Sending along wishes for all good things to come your way!



8 comments:

  1. What a charming array on your mantel, and what a little picture diary of your celebratory month! The soup looks scrumptious---isn't the aroma of something simmering on the stove just the best air freshener in the house? And on these icy days, it's even better to come home to.
    I was delighted to have you visit LAWN TEA, and hope you'll stop by and HELLO often! I'm just getting back to writing again, after about five years of just not feeling like it, so I appreciate hearing from Y'all when you drop in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food ventures look yummy. That soup and that black forest cake, yum yum. I have never put toasted oats in soup - how did you find that? Thanks, Nellie. Enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful that there you've found so much to celebrate in February! After Christmas, January always seems so long and dreary, so it's time to decorate in February to bring some colour and fun to the end of winter! Your mantel is lovely, it really is.
    I'm a Rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mantel looks so nice.
    Oh my that cake looks delicious. I want a piece. :)
    I found my year - the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Sister, you've done it again - made me drool!! That soup would be wonderful on some of the cool, drizzly days we've had recently, and there's never a BAD time for Black Forest Cake! I think I've had it only once, and that was at the Atlanta Marriott, in one of their dining rooms. That was the first time anyone ever mashed up my baked potato for me and put my chosen toppings on for me! You have such a flair for decorating, and your mantle is lovely. I learned that I'm a GOAT!! In today's lingo, that would mean Greatest Of All Time, so I'll take it!! Have a wonderful February, Sister. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie. That was a nice post. The Black Forest cake look luscious. Good for you, baking and cooking up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, your celebrations for the month look wonderful. It's nice to have special days during the cold winter. I see I was born in the year of the Ox. Take care of yourself, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup looks delicious, Nellie. I love soups during the cold winters. And that black forest cake! You did a great job making it. The quiche Lorraine looks so good. I used to order the asparagus quiche at a little cafe back in my hometown, and it was delicious. I miss going there. Your mantel is delightful with all the cute Valentine stuff. Enjoy the last days of February, Nellie.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete