You know me - always forgetting to take pictures of the process.
Here it is, out of the oven, with that slit where I stuck the knife to test for doneness very visible.:-)
As you are able to tell, it has been "taste-tested.":-) It was a good choice to share with the Country Couple when they made a recent visit.
This recipe combines another flavor with pumpkin - apple butter - and it comes from one that appeared via Cooking.com about three years ago.
APPLE BUTTER-PUMPKIN PIE
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup sugar (taste the sweetness of your apple butter; may need less sugar here)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- One 5-ounce can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pastry for single crust pie, prepared as you wish, edges crimped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin, apple butter, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs; beat lightly with a rotary beater or wire whisk till combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and milk; mix well.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pastry shell. Bake for 50 minutes or till a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 1 hour.
- Chill 3-6 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, serve with whipped cream. The Husband topped his with plain Greek yogurt! I would definitely prefer whipped cream!:-)