Monday, February 8, 2016

Time for a "Souper Bowl...."

With a prediction of some winter weather headed in our direction, a pot of chili seemed to be in order.

Bubbling in the pot!

I have used this recipe a number of years.  It seems that I have to be ever-watchful of those pounds, and I have developed what I think is a good low-cal choice.

VERSATILE CHILI
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. ground white turkey 
1 (15 1/2 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 cup V8 juice 
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder 
- Heat olive oil in saucepan; add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is soft.  Crumble ground white turkey into pan.  Brown, stirring well to break up turkey.  Drain off fat, if there is any.
- Add kidney beans, tomatoes, V8 juice, and seasonings. 
- Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

I have added other chili-type seasonings to this at times.  The ground white turkey really "likes" flavor added.:-)  I also use ground white meat chicken in this recipe.

I call this "versatile" because not only is it delicious in a bowl - topped with some low-fat sour cream and low-fat Mexican blend cheese - it makes a great topping for baked potatoes!  Also, it's good for homemade nachos!  Choose the tortilla chip of your choice, arrange them on a microwaveable plate, and top with some cheese, heating in the microwave until cheese is melted.  You could also add other desired toppings, such as jalapeƱos, etc.  Some of that lf sour cream is good on top, too! 

I want to mention that purchasing no salt added/low sodium products has been a policy of mine for quite awhile now.  That way, I am able to control the amount of sodium in what we eat.

I'm sure you know what to do with leftovers.:-)

7 comments:

  1. I should have known better than to check your blog before breakfast! Now, I'm really hungry and wish I had some of your delicious chili and a baked potato to start my day! Oh, well...maybe for supper. Have a marvelous Monday, Sister, and hunker down for that winter weather! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, Yum, a good healthy chili. Looks good and sound perfect for today. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh does that sound good and healthy to boot, Nellie! Be careful during your storm! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. No football fans at my house. We didn't watch.
    Were were eating chili though. Lots of different kinds at church yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful. I really like chili like that. It sounds like you are staying warm. I hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Chilli looks tasty and would be good on a cold windy like today.Sorry, no football or sport fans at my house either. Just farmers and they like to eat, lol.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete