Friday, September 18, 2020

Friday’s Favorites.....

 Already we have reached the mid-point of September earlier in the week, and we are racing toward October at what seems to be breakneck speed!

There have been many things that have brought me joy during this past week.  Yesterday marked Day 190 from when we began a “stay at home” policy, meaning that we opt for curbside pickup and bank/pharmacy drive through, as well as Instacart delivery.  During this time, we have walked only on the street in our small neighborhood.  This week brought about a small change.  On one day, we drove to a shopping area, got out of the car, and walked for about 15 minutes on the sidewalk that goes along in front of several businesses.  We were there early, before most of them opened for the day, and we wore our masks for safety.  We returned a second time on another day, in the early evening, after most of the stores had closed for the night, once again wearing our masks.  It was on this walk that we noticed this....

1)   

It was exciting to me to see one of these Little Free Libraries in place, and I loved the selection of books inside!

2)  We rarely have anyone ring our doorbell, especially during the past six months.  Last Saturday, we were surprised when the doorbell rang, and this was waiting for us!


Especially for Grandparents Day!  I love fresh flowers in the house!

3)  The doorbell once again rang on Sunday afternoon when friends from church paid a surprise call to leave this with us....

I love to have chrysanthemums decorate the outside of the house for fall.

4)  Neighbors have shared the harvest from their garden with us several times this summer.  One of our favorites has been okra, and The Husband has become quite an expert in preparing it.


I have loved fried okra since I was a child!  That’s the way it was always prepared when I was growing up at home.

5)  It is never too early to think about Christmas, and this arrived this week, the latest in the books by Susan Branch.


I will confess....I immediately made time to sit down and read it!  I love the happy memories that are recorded in this story.

We have a choice that will sit the tone for the day each morning when we awake.  Choose joy!  

What are some things that have brought you joy this week?

Take care!  Be safe!  Stay well! 

8 comments:

  1. Sister, I always love your Friday lists! Those flowers are both lovely, and Dolly Parton has done so much good with her Imagination Library. It's good to see that little free library in place for those who can't get to the "regular" library. Things that have brought me joy this week would have to include my "in person" worship at my church this past Sunday morning! Even though we don't shake hands - we simply wave at one another - it's still good to see those who are of like faith worship together. Additionally, I was quite relieved when Sally decided not to visit us here in Biloxi, although I'm really sorry for all the damage she did to our eastern neighbors. Well, you didn't ask me to write a book, so I'd best hush for now. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the steps you are taking to take walks, and you discovered the cute Dolly Parton Little Free Library. Then to have flowers delivered to your door. These are joyful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My door has hardly seen anyone since March, so it's quite a scare when there's a knock, isn't it? What lovely things to find on your doorstep indeed. I have ventured out twice now, but find seeing people very unnerving. Regaining our confidence takes time now, and everyone wearing their masks properly will help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a lot of those little free libraries on peoples blogs but have never seen one in person. Such a great idea.

    I didn't even know it was grandparents day! Your flowers are lovely.

    Walking always brings me joy! It was a joy to get back to working on the baby blankets again with the women from church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely surprises at your home this week, Nellie. I don't know what we'd do without our early morning walk. So glad you enjoyed another view. The Little Libraries are so nice to see pop up. And Susan Branch's new book is darling. Both my husband and I read ours as soon as it arrived. Have a wonderful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're still very quiet in our activities. We do go out to shop for essentials now, with masks. Haven't been to the mall or a bookshop in months. What lovely floral surprises to show up - the yellow mums are so perfect this time of year. And, I am looking forward to Susan Branch's new book arriving - it was shipped this week, has to travel all the way to Alberta, Canada.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend....
    Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of free libraries and have seen them on people's blogs as far as Australia. I've donated many books to charity but I like the idea that of the free library which you can take but also give.
    Nice surprises at your place this week.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is too early to think about Christmas. Now is the time for autumn and Halloween. That library is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete