Thursday, September 19, 2013

September harvest....

I hope everyone is enjoying a good week.  It seems to have passed quickly around here.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, we had a late beginning with our garden due to our very rainy year around here.  Although it was mid-June before anything was planted, we have had a bit of success.  It was exciting earlier this week when The Husband brought in these:

Okra and "volunteer" grape tomatoes!

The first greens from the "fall" planting done in August!

Have you ever seen okra that lovely color?  We are stockpiling it until there is enough for a meal.

On Wednesday, The Husband brought in these:

Potatoes!  
I must confess that this is all of the crop for these potatoes.  Potatoes need to be planted much earlier than we were able to plant this season, and there were no proper seed potatoes available at that late date.  These are from some of the potatoes from last year's crop that had sprouted, and that is all we used for planting this time.  They are not too large and will taste really good baked whole with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic.

Also, The Husband brought these in.

Sweet potatoes!

Actually, this is not the only basket of sweet potatoes!  We have another one!  Sweet potatoes have customarily done well for us here.  We like them prepared rather simply - just baked, without any of those other "tasty" ingredients found in casserole recipes. 

Are you looking forward to the week-end?  It will be here before we know it.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. I never saw red okra before today. I've eaten okra in soup that came from a can years ago but never had it as a vegetable. How do you prepare yours.

    Your sweet potatoes are a great crop. Do they keep well? How do you store them? NIce spuds...

    The sun is shining today so I'm working outside.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, NOMMY good. I wish I was there. (except for the okra). YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never seen red okra! does it taste different than the green? i love okra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you have something to show for it. Your sweet potatoes are lovely. I like my vegetables mostly natural. I can never figure out why people like candied sweet potatoes. I like them just fine with a tad of butter. My newest son in law hasn't had any okra this year and I told him I would plant it. I have never seen okra that color either but it is very pretty.
    Your little potatoes are nice too.
    I like them that way as well.
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want some roasted potatoes with garlic butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have seen that color of okra before, and as nearly as I can tell, it fries up just as well as the green does! I have a friend who even bakes it in a way that makes it taste as if it's fried, but with a very light coating of cornmeal and NO fat, since she just sprays the pan before baking it. It's a rather involved process, but the okra is delicious that way! You have always done well with your sweet potatoes and greens, and I'm like you--just a bit of butter on that sweet potato, please. :-) Have a lovely afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie , your garden was a success after a late start , my first red okra was about 5 or 6 years ago , planted the orka and some came up with the green okra . Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie,
    That okra is gorgeous! I have a friend who just shakes it in a cornmeal/flour mixture without any real breading and fries it in very little oil. He then mixes the hot okra with grape tomatoes that have been sliced in half. It is delicious!
    Have a great week.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty red okra. I've never grown either color and have never eaten it either!!
    Lots of good looking food there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red okra? Really? Never knew that existed.l Your garden produce is looking great- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen okra that color, how cool!

    I remember you battling all that rain, but at least you do have something to show for. That's a boatload of sweet potatoes, for sure! Ahem, plenty of fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen red okra before either! Your potato crop is fantastic. I love sweet potatoes. Especially sweet potato french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that red okra is just gorgeous!!!

    God does put on a show:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's quite the harvest. I had a good many volunteers in my garden this year. Such a fun surprise and a good reminder that I am not always in charge of my journey...even when it comes to planting veggies!

    ReplyDelete