Friday, December 23, 2011

Birthday cakes....

As I mentioned yesterday, this is the day for birthdays in our family.  We had planned to meet at a location that is about midway between where we live and Daughter #2 lives, and Daughter #3 would meet us there as well for dinner.  Unfortunately, that ornery "stomach bug" reared its ugly head, and our grandson isn't quite "up to par."  Consequently, the celebrating has been delayed.  We had not planned to have cake today, anyway, so what I will show you is the process of baking the cakes.

One daughter requested chocolate with white frosting, and the other requested spice with caramel frosting and nuts sprinkled on top!  The cake layers are baked, but I will do the frosting tomorrow.  Today, I will share the recipes with you.  Not too sure about this process of getting the picture quite where I want it.  One day one method seems to work, and another day it doesn't.:-)  That's about the story of my experience with technology.;-)

Sour Cream Fudge is what I chose to bake for the chocolate.  This picture (at the top) shows it as the shortening and sour cream are added into the dry ingredients before the mixing begins.  The second picture shows the batter after the other ingredients have been added to it.  Doesn't it look good, rich, and chocolatey?
Here are the layers after they were taken out of the pan.  They are very smooth, and my experience is that they frost very easily.:-)

I don't have any idea where I found this recipe, but here it is for your enjoyment.:-)

SOUR CREAM FUDGE CAKE

6 Tablespoons cocoa
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening + 2 Tablespoons
1 cup dairy sour cream (I used "light")
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water (I used very hot water from the tap)

Sift dry ingredients into the mixer bowl.  Add shortening and sour cream.  Beat at low speed till moistened; then two minutes at medium speed.

Add eggs, vanilla, and 1/4 cup hot water; beat two minutes longer.

Pour into greased and floured pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

FROSTING

4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk (approximately - you may need more for it to reach the correct consistency for you to use)

Beat all together until fully combined and creamy.  Spread between layers of cake, around sides, and on top.

Enjoy!

I believe I will save the other recipe for tomorrow.  Can you believe it uses sour cream as well?

Thank you for reading, and I hope you are enjoying these days.

3 comments:

  1. Printing this recipe! You know how I am about chocolate, anyway, and this sounds just marvelously fudgy! I'm hoping there will be some left for sampling on Sunday, as I believe you also have a granddaughter who is fond of chocolate! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about chocolate?:-) We'll hope that you have a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as you know, time ran out and we had to leave before those cakes were cut, so I guess I'll just have to make this one for myself one of these days soon!

    ReplyDelete