Thursday, September 20, 2012

That other bread....

Long before white flour became a target of the "if it's white, don't bite" philosophy, we had actually preferred whole wheat.  There was no separate category for whole wheat bread at the Fair, however, unless it would have been the category in which the Parmesan Dill Batter Bread was entered.  There was, though, a separate category for white bread.

I have had this recipe for many years.  I am not sure of the source, though it is very likely it came from the outside of the Fleishman's Yeast package.  Through the years, I have tried many of those, and have usually been pleased with them. 

On the particular day I was baking this bread, the oven chose to be an "over-achiever!"  You will be able to tell that the crust is more than a shade darker than "golden."  In fact, I actually covered the tops of the loaves with aluminum foil just 15 minutes into the baking!  I was really fearful that the judges would slice into raw bread dough when they tasted the bread!

Just a little brown on top!:-)

WHITE BREAD

2 packages yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
6 cups flour
2 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

- Combine yeast, sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour in large mixer bowl.
- Heat milk and oil till very warm (120-130 degrees). 
- Add egg and warm liquid to flour mixture.  Beat 1/2 minute at low speed, 3 minutes at medium speed.  By hand, gradually stir in remaining four cups flour to make dough easy to handle.  Knead on floured surface till smooth and elastic - about one minute.
- Place dough in greased 2 1/2 quart bowl.  Turn dough to grease all sides.  Cover.  Let rise in warm place 45 to 60 minutes.  Punch down and shape into two loaves.  Place in greased pans.  Cover; let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes.  Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

There are a few things going on in the community that I will tell about in the next post.

It is a beautiful fall day as I write this!  Hopefully your day is a good one where you are, too.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate  your comments.


4 comments:

  1. You got second place? That is great.
    It looks wonderful. I still have packages of yeast in with my recipes. I was always keeping those cards. Now I buy yeast in one pound packages. It looks like a great recipe. I am so glad you had such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the taste was wonderful, once they cut through the crust! I actually like a bit darker crust, as long as it doesn't have that burnt taste. Congrats on that beautiful ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss such, since becoming Gluten Intolerant. -pout-

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first time I ever made bread...I was so proud of myself....cause my mom used to say"I pitty the man that marrys you"...cause I couldn't cook without a recipe.LOL.xo, Susie

    ReplyDelete