Thursday, April 24, 2014

Determined....

Thursday already!  This week - and the lovely spring weather - are just determined to pass all too quickly!

"Determined" also describes my approach to fulfilling my plans - without the convenience of water coming from the tap!

Hot Cross Buns!  

Yes, it was the time for Hot Cross Buns!  I was able to take advantage of that bottled water for going ahead with this recipe!

I may have included this on the blog at some time in the past, but here it is again for your enjoyment.

HOT CROSS BUNS
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup raisins (I used currants this time)
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter,  plus a little more melted to brush over the buns
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
- Heat butter, water, and milk to 120 degrees.  Add to 1/3  of the flour and remaining dry ingredients and raisins.  Beat two minutes at medium speed.  Add 1/2 cup of flour and eggs.  Beat two minutes at high speed.  Stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about five minutes.  Cover; let rise about 20 minutes.  (I just turned the mixer bowl upside down over the dough). Punch down; divide in half.  Shape each into 12 equal pieces.  Round piece into a smooth ball.  Place two inches apart on greased cookie sheet.  Brush with melted butter.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate two to 24 hours.  Uncover; let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut shallow cross on top of each.  Bake at 375 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes.
GLAZE - 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 2 Tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla - Blend all together and drizzle over the top of the buns.   Yield: 2 dozen.

These are always a big hit!  The recipe came from our local newspaper many years ago - in the early eighties - and I have been baking them every year since then!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.




14 comments:

  1. Never can see this recipe without drooling! Thanks for the share, and I'm sharing it on FB for my friends who love to cook. Have a great day, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AMAZING Nellie!! Glad to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, I laughed at myself reading this post...I thought , boy , if I lived near you, I would make a point to walk by your house just for the aromas. You are a wonderful cook. Blessings for a great day, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them but have never baked them. They have to be delicious! I can see why they're a big hit and I need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM... Looks delicious... BUT---I absolutely LOVE your fresh fruit salad listed on yesterday's post... Just my thing!!!!! Thanks.

    Hope you are enjoying this weather... It's been a little cool up here --but I can't complain since it will be HOT too soon... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! One of my husbands loves:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love those old recipes that you get from somewhere like a newspaper and you make them over and over and over again? These LOOK delicious. I love currants. We had big currant bushes along the fence by our farmhouse- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hot cross buns and i used to make them at every Easter. I would put a cross made of glaze on top. Yummy...


    I don't bake much anymore but I have two carrot cakes in the oven at the moment. One for the church supper and one for my farm boys on Saturday. It will get tried before saturday though, lol.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who doesn't love hot cross buns. They are delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, Hot Cross Buns. They do look good. Sorry I've been missing again. Am working on correcting that. I have a new Blog Post when you get time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a determined woman:)

    I didn't make Hot cross buns this year - these sound yummy!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every single year I am going to make hot cross buns and some how I get side tracked. I am going to make some of these. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to try making these sometime. Such a pretty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh yum! nellie! Thanx for the recipe too! I love trying new bread recipes!! I will be back to see who's birthday it is!!

    ReplyDelete