Monday, November 17, 2014

A pumpkin story....

We have been enjoying our pumpkin harvest.  It is not something we had anticipated when the garden was planted earlier in the season.  Turns out some pumpkin seeds did some sneaking into the compost at some point last year, and they "volunteered" for us this season!  The result has been better than we had when we intentionally tried to grow pumpkins!  

Anyway, we have been enjoying these unexpected blessings and have roasted a few of them.


These halves are just out of the oven and transferred to the rack to continue draining.  This picture below shows what was left behind in the pan where they were roasted.


Are you able to see the pumpkin juice?  It is a wonderful natural sweetener, and we've used it in several ways - from sweetening pumpkin soup to serving as a natural syrup on pancakes!  

We've been enjoying a bit of a Pumpkin Fest around here and have discovered some real favorites.  What is your favorite pumpkin treat?

10 comments:

  1. You have really done great with this pumpkin harvest! I guess my favorite pumpkin treat would be a loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread. A friend bakes a few loaves to sell at our school's Harvest Festival, and I always enjoy it! She gave me the recipe, but I haven't tried my hand at it yet...maybe soon!

    Have a terrific Tuesday, Sister! We have a light dusting of some odd-looking white stuff on the ground this morning, and it is COLD outside! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just wonderful Nellie, I never knew that about the juice. I love fresh pumpkin for breads and pies. I always just cooked mine in the microwave. I like it better how yours turned out roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nellie..I never roasted pumpkin but like it in bread and in pumpkin butter, as well. Glad you got a good harvest of it. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had pumpkin growing up my deck one year from seeds in the compost. My best harvest of pumpkins ever too...

    How long do you roast the pumpkins?
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is neat that you got some 'volunteers' pumpkins this year... Bet you'll put some more seeds in your compost for next year's crop....

    Interesting ways to use the pumpkin juice.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful unexpected blessings, of the tasty and good for you kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you put the whole pumpkin in the oven to roast? What temperature and for how long.
    My favorite pumpkin treat is pumpkin bread and pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I had never seen baked pumpkin...reminds me of squash! Now to favorites...my very number one favorite is pumpkin pie! Then there is pumpkin bread, pumpkin roll! So many goodies!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I've never heard of roasting a pumpkin or about the juice. Cool and I learned something new today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I never thought about roasting a pumpkin!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete