Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Before it disappeared....

.....I hurried to take a picture!


THREE BEAN PUMPKIN CHILI
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound ground turkey (to make this vegetarian, omit the turkey and add another can of beans).
1 15-oz. can black beans
1 15-oz. can kidney beans
1 15-oz. can white beans (I used cannellini).
1 29-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 15-oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In large pot, over medium heat, warm olive oil.  Add garlic, onion, and peppers, and saute until onions start to turn translucent.  Add meat, breaking it up with fork, and cook until no pink remains.  Add remaining ingredients and heat until mixture starts to bubble.  Reduce heat to low.  Cook 1 to 2 hours to blend seasonings.
- Serves 8 to 10.
This is almost a standard recipe from Muncho Mom for this time of year.  

11 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, and I'm sure it has been a huge hit at your house! I'm sharing it with my Facebook friends, as many of them are into healthy eating. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to make this, I have all of the ingredients. It looks so yummy for a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought of putting pumpkin in chilli. It sounds good to me.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby mentioned chili just yesterday. Today it is actually cold enough to start considering it! Brrr, my body is aching from the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, This is a first for me. I have never heard of this before. But I bet it's good with cornbread. LOL. It's getting cold here dear friend. Maybe snow for us this weekend. Bless you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could eat that, but I don't do well with beans or spices. I'm sure it's delicious on a chilly day.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Nellie. I can't say I've ever had Pumpkin Chili before. Sounds like something I should at least taste:)

    Thanks for sharing, Nellie...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, Nellie (I almost said "whoa, Nellie", but that seemed too cliche)!

    Now THIS is a new recipe that needs to be in my crock pot right now!! That looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie, this recipe is almost like the one I made. Omitted the meat, making it a vegetarian soup. Funny how all these recipes are similar, Yet different. The refried beans make it taste like it has meat in it.

    ReplyDelete