Thursday, October 1, 2015

Rabbit, rabbit!

What?!?  What?!?  Where?!?  Where?!?  Yes, that's correct!  This is the first day of October!  Can't be sure where September went.  It certainly seemed to be in a big hurry to get there - wherever it was!

So, we have a brand new month, and here is a recipe for you.  It is for our very favorite cornbread that I featured in the blog several days ago.

The recipe is one that came from Southern Living magazine in the very early 80's.

CORNBREAD

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

1/4 cup canola oil (measure this into the iron skillet, heat it in the oven, then swirl the oil around the
                               skillet to oil the sides before adding the oil to the cornbread batter)

2 cups cornmeal, plain, not self-rising or cornmeal mix
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
     Mix dry ingredients together, then add:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
     Mix all together, then add hot oil from the iron skillet that has been in the oven.
     Pour batter into skillet, place in the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
     Enjoy!

What better way to welcome October than with a skillet of your favorite freshly baked cornbread?

8 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a good cornbread recipe, just yesterday!!!!
    thankyou!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellie~! I am back in blogland and I missed you! That sounds like a wonderful recipe and I am saving it for after the first of November. I am on a strict regime until then. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now you have me in the mood for some cornbread and pinto beans! That just might be a good supper for us today, so I thank you for the idea! Have a great afternoon, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy October! It is the countdown to Halloween for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound good. We had broccoli cheddar soup (A new recipe) for supper.
    Hard to believe it is Oct already. Won't be long now before it snows!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just see my Dad adding that hot oil to his cornbread and putting it in his treasured cast iron skillet. He was a big cornbread maker! His sister, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm...cornbread, I love it!!q Happy first day of October!

    ReplyDelete