Thursday, July 24, 2014

The garden in late July....

Well, perhaps it isn't really late July, but the last day of the month is only a week away!  So, here are a series of pictures taken just last evening. 



This "volunteered" from our compost that The Husband added to the garden.  We think it may be a variety of butternut squash.  Our neighbor gave  us some of his last season.

Maybe this is pumpkin?


Do you see that one lone watermelon?  No luck with them this season, for some reason.


There are still lots of green tomatoes.  The sweet potatoes are also visible in this picture.


One of several sunflowers just about ready to burst into bloom.  The birds will be happy.


We had some good rain yesterday afternoon, but are still behind in our average rainfall totals for this point in the year.  How about where you are?

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.



13 comments:

  1. Our rainfall total is behind as well, and we didn't get any showers yesterday, but I'm sure we'll get some soon. Your garden is looking really great, and I love your "Volunteers!" How nice for the compost to give you something back! Have a terrific Thursday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they would stop using the airport in another town for KTown's weather data. Just move the weather equipment I would think. However, I am really here to say I love the garden pictures and always have. That poor watermelon. He must be lonely. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, I think your garden still looks so neat and tidy. I wish you luck with your melon. I know nothing of growing melons. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. my pumpkins did not grow. i do have two watermelons though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You garden did very well even though you didn't get much rain this year. I hope your volunteers will produce something. I even see a little volunteer tomato blossom.

    I remember when I first started blogging, I had some serendipity pumpkin seeds that came from the compost and the vine grew so big, it covered my cement back deck and I got some Halloween pumpkins out of it.

    We were supposed to have a big lightning and rain storm at midnight but we only got a bit of rain this morning and it feels cools today.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be anxious to see the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks lovely. My garden looked a lot today like late August rather than July. I love how green it is where you live. Oh, I almost forgot, I received my first issue to Cottage today. What a lovely magazine. Thank you so much. Perfect for vacation reading by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is farther along than those up here. We had such a cold spring and early summer, that stuff is just now starting tog look good, but we need rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is way ahead of mine:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we are where we should be with rain. It rains often here but we get sun too.
    They say watermelons don't do good here because our growing season isn't long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still in mourning over our garden and the very fat groundhog that has taken up residence. Your garden is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete