Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Remember these?



These are the Thumbprints from an earlier post, and I promised a recipe later.  Today is "later.":-)

This is an adaptation from a recipe I had years ago, so I have no way of telling how it came to be.  It has served us well.

THUMBPRINTS

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix first five ingredients together.  Then add flour and salt.
- Shape into balls an inch apart on ungreased pan.  Press thumb in center of each cookie to flatten.
(Munchkin chose Cherry Preserves to drop into the imprint).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. 
- 3 to 4 dozen
TOPPING
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
- Mix together to fill thumb indentation when cookies are cool.  May add food coloring, if desired. 
(Our cookies didn't need this step since we dropped those preserves before we baked the cookies).

Enjoy! 

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe.
    I have always liked thumbprints.
    I hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing this one with my FB friends, for sure! They love almost any recipe, and this one is sure to be a hit! Munchkin has some good taste---I would like either cherry or raspberry in mine, please. Have a terrific Tuesday, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, My daughter Kathy makes these and she uses Raspberry preserves. They are tasty , I think with any thing...honestly I don't know a cookie I don't like. Woe is me.:( xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really good! Happy December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nellie , love thumbprints , my kids love helping me bake them , I am pinning this one and thanks for sharing .
    Thank you for your well wishes they meant a lot .
    ~~Nee~~ ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some homemade strawberry jam just looking for a thumbprint or two Nellie. Thanks for sharing the recipe...Yours look yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe..they do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I roll the balls in eggwhites.. and then in either coconut or finely chopped walnuts… then I cook as directed and do the thumbprint with the raspberry or other jelly… fabulous… my aunt Tessie gave us this recipe… She called them Sonja Heniie's as she found the recipe in a magazine and supposedly it was the famous ice skater's recipe… that's how old my recipe is… probably the early 1950's… been making them ever since… but we call them Aunt Tess's cookies… love you blog… thanks!!

    ReplyDelete