Sunday, March 25, 2012

Continuing with recipes....

Happy Sunday afternoon to everyone!  It is a nice day here, and we have been to Sunday School and worship.  Our ministers have used the last words of Jesus for their focus the past few Sundays, and today's was "I Thirst," with scripture from John 19:26-29.  This may be something you might want to read and think about on your own.

Today, I am continuing with the cookie recipe for the cookies we served at the wedding reception last Saturday.  This recipe is one that I have used for at least 42 years!  It is in several Betty Crocker cookbooks.  We made 150 cookies for the wedding and brought home fewer than 20!

PECAN SNOWBALLS

1 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans

- Cream butter and sugar; add water and vanilla.  Mix well.  Blend in flour and nuts; chill four hours.  Shape in balls or fingers.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 325 degrees F about 20 minutes.  Remove from pan.  Cool slightly; roll in confectioners sugar.  Makes three dozen.

Handle carefully as these cookies will break easily after baked.  Of course, that's more bits for you to sample.:-)  I had confectioners sugar in a plastic bag and dropped the cookies in four at a time to cover with sugar.  Another thing is that they have never really stayed in a snowball shape for me, but flatten somewhat while they bake.  Also, we made these on the small side since they were going to be wedding reception offerings, so we were able to come up with more than the three dozen the recipe mentions.

Pecan  Snowballs

More St. Patrick's Day decor, now stored away.


There are still more food items from the reception that I want to mention, so that will be the focus of the next post or two.  Stay tuned......:-)  Oh, did I mention that the bunnies are hopping around here?  I guess they will need some space on the blog as well.

Thank you for following along and commenting.  I love to read your comments.




8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you are uite the baker... I love these cookies..I had a friend who use to make these and put them in her Christmas goodie tins. Each year we looked forward to her baked gifts!

    Can't wait to see your next blog!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-these things are so good. My Mom used to make them at Christmas time and my Dad would eat them by the handful. Great recipe! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. These must be very tasty. We really enjoy pecans here. I'm going to make them soon. Your china is beautiful. I love the fresh green and white and the cookies look lovely on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are one of my favorite cookies! Recipe is definitely a keeper. I love all your shamrocks and things. So cute. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite cookies! I love anything with pecans! I will have to meditate more on the "I Thirst" scripture, it does seem that there is more to be gleaned from that verse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, appreciate those verses of Scripture. There is so much focus on the more "worldly" aspects of Easter that sometimes people tend to forget or overlook the REAL reason the day is so special.

    These cookies just melt in one's mouth! I have a similar recipe that I have used for years, and I make them into tiny balls, which remain until they are gobbled up by those who are around them! Thank you for sharing this one; I may just have to give it a try! I will also look forward to the rest that you have coming up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love those cookies. i make them for xmas each year. i bet they disappeared fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were a favorite cookie with my former mother in law. I made them in her honor at Christmas. YUM.

    ReplyDelete