Saturday, March 24, 2012

More wedding food....

Covering the wedding of last week-end is apparently going to take several days.:-)  I still have several recipes to get to you.

Country Girl, rather than have the usual mixed nuts that one finds at a reception, chose to have Spiced Pecans.  The recipe I used is one found in the AUTUMN book by Susan Branch.  Some of you may even have that book, and you will find the recipe on page 27.

SPICED PECANS

spray olive oil
2 cups pecan halves (We made the Lions Club very happy when we bought pecans from them).:-)
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup melted butter
4 teaspoons Mexican hot pepper sauce (cholula)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray olive oil on a cookie sheet.  Mix all other ingredients and spread on pan in one layer.  Bake 10 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring once.  Cool.

Pecans with St. Patrick

As I haven't had a chance to cover any of the St. Patrick Day decor around the house, I wanted to show the pecans in the Longaberger dish from several years ago.  Also served were what we called Wedding Cookies.  They are on the shamrock plate.  The place mats have leprechauns on them, and two styles of napkins are shown above.  It is difficult to see, but that is a St. Patrick's Day coaster, and the mug, often used as a vase, is one of my favorite pieces.   

Most of you probably have the recipe for the cookies.  It is from a Betty Crocker cookbook, and they are called Pecan Snowballs.  I will post that recipe in the next post.

I actually haven't mentioned the reception menu, have I?  Did I mention that Country Girl used canvas drop cloths to cover the reception table?  They really looked nice on the large, built-in serving area.  On the menu were:  strawberries and pineapple/dip (brought by a friend); spinach balls (made by my sister); baby carrots and broccoli; spinach dip (groom's step-mother) and toasts; wedding cookies; Oreo bon-bons (made by a friend); spiced pecans; almond tea, lemonade, and coffee; and the wedding cake and groom's cake.  On the tables were bread boards with Irish soda bread and Kerrygold Irish cheddar cheese.  

So, I still have more to share about the wedding.:-)  The newlyweds have returned from their honeymoon, and we hope it won't be too long before we will see them.  

Next post - Still more recipes.....

Thank you so much for following along and for your comments.  I love reading them.



7 comments:

  1. wonderful! i can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lovely wedding. I can't wait to see some more wedding pictures! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pecans are dangerous!! It's too easy to lose track of how many you've already had, because your mouth keeps wanting more! This recipe is just a bit different from others I've tried, and I'm eager to make them soon; just have to find a good excuse... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was so nice. I like your plate. Are you feeling rested yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to try those spiced pecans, sound delicious!
    I think drop cloths are a great idea for a casual outdoor wedding! Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interested to see more wedding food its good to learn your recipe surely that catering service in manila will like this.

    ReplyDelete