Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All About the Food - Part III

In this third installment about our New Year's Day meal, I will discuss black-eyed peas!  Not the singing group, the legume!:-)
Here they are, simmering away.  Now, if you want black-eyed peas, there is more than one direction for you to go.  If you are using dried peas, they must be sorted the night before (to see that you aren't going to be cooking any rocks or bad peas), rinsed, and soaked overnight in water equal to three times the amount of peas; i.e., 2 cups of peas, 6 cups of water.  The next morning, drain and rinse again.  Then add the water (equal to three times the peas), cover, and bring the black-eyed peas to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer until peas are at desired doneness.  We like ours pretty soft and soupy, so we cook them longer than some other people may.  I add salt about 30 minutes before I think they are going to be done.  Also, I try to have a kettle of simmering water to add to the peas in case they appear to be cooking too dry.  So, it usually takes around two hours or so for them to be cooked to our liking.  I know traditional lore specifies adding hog jowl to the black-eyed peas, but I have never been fond of that type of seasoning, and particularly now that one of our daughters is a vegetarian, I don't put any kind of meat seasoning in them, just in case she happens by for some leftovers.  I add a chopped onion for some good flavor and sometimes a little minced garlic.  Can you tell we are fans of garlic?:-)

A simpler way to go, of course, is to buy canned black-eyed peas at the grocery.  Also, sometimes available are pre-soaked beans, usually found in the produce section.  I just prefer to do my own from dried beans.

As I mentioned earlier, I also served baked ham on New Year's Day.  I don't add any kind of glaze to the ham, just a few cloves stuck in the top of it.

Tomorrow I will post a recipe for Farmer's Breakfast Casserole.  Please return.  You may find it something you'll enjoy.:-)

Thank you for following along!

2 comments:

  1. I also wait till shortly before the peas are done before salting. It seems that the flavor stays better that way, but I'm not a scientist, so what do I know? :-) These are also delicious with some of that wonderful cornbread that you mentioned a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made black eyed peas for new years too. and greens of course! i seem to go southern for new years very often!

    ReplyDelete