Friday, January 27, 2012

What do you cook when....

Gathering ingredients for Gone All Day Stew!

Vegetables and meat ready for the liquid to be added.

Liquid added and ready for the oven!

Out of the oven five hours later, ready to be served!

When I went back to work while the "children" were still at home, I had quite a lineup of possible dinners after my day in the classroom.  That often meant cooking and freezing on Saturday for the week ahead.  The crockpot was especially handy.  

There is a bit of preparation to this recipe; however, it can be assembled the night before, if needed.
I assembled it this morning, then had it baking this afternoon while we were out on errands.  I cannot remember where I first got this recipe.  It has been in my file for a number of  years.  It is just as good if the recipe is halved.

GONE ALL DAY BEEF STEW

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) tomato soup, undiluted
1 cup water or red wine (I used beef broth - unsalted and fat-free)
1/4 cup flour
2 pounds stew beef, all fat trimmed
3 medium carrots, cut in 1-inch diagonal slices
6 white boiling onions or yellow onions, quartered (I used frozen baby onions).
4 medium potatoes, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 cup celery cut in 1-inch chunks
10 to 12 whole large fresh mushrooms
2 beef boullion cubes (I omitted these because of sodium concerns, substituting the beef broth instead, and then I added the salt that was needed).
1 teaspoon oregano, thyme, and rosemary
1 bay leaf
3 grinds fresh pepper

- Mix together tomato soup, water/wine, and flour until smooth; combine with remaining ingredients in large Dutch oven or other covered roasting pan.  Bake at 275 degrees for 4 to 5 hours.  When ready to serve, adjust seasoning, if desired.

This is good served with slaw and cornbread.  The Man of the House was happy!:-)

Nann over at atnannstable.blogspot.com has a wonderful giveaway in progress.  Head over to her site and leave a comment.  Maybe you could mention that you heard about it on this blog.:-)  

Next - chilly weather here again!

Thank you for reading.  I enjoy your comments.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so hearty and delicious, and I'm sure the man of the house was quite happy, and will enjoy leftovers for another meal, as long as he didn't eat all the cornbread tonight! Great recipe again; thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I wonder all of the time how did we live without crockpots? I use mine on those days when it is going to be crazy.
    I think stew is one of our favorite dishes around here. My boys eat it for a late night snack, that one looks great. Let me know how your weigh in goes in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete