Monday, January 23, 2012

Cook once....

Mushrooms browning.

Almost there!

Ready to eat!  Pomegranate seeds on the salad.

Don't you love meals that are easy to prepare because you have already cooked part of it?  That's what today's recipe is like.  

Do you remember that meatloaf recipe of a few days ago?  The one that was cut in half?  Well, this recipe uses one fourth of the entire meatloaf and creates a very tasty meal!  It also comes from the Weight Watchers Best Eats Cookbook, edition 2008.

SPEEDY STROGANOFF
1 cup egg noodles
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
1 piece leftover Home-Style Meatloaf, crumbled
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

- Cook the noodles according to package directions, omitting the salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.  Stir in the meatloaf, broth, sour cream, dill, and pepper.  Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, just until heated through 4-5 minutes.  Spoon over the noodles and serve at once.
- Four servings

We have happily made the switch to 100% whole wheat pasta in all but egg noodles, and they are just not the same.:-(  So, this recipe has the usual egg noodles.  It is popular with the Man of the House because he loves dill.:-)  As I have mentioned before, remember portion control is a huge consideration with the WW program.

Next up - Soup's on....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. My hubby doesn't like the whole wheat pasta either. I use brown rice products for myself but regular noodles for the rest of the family.

    I made a big casserole today and discovered thinking I would have leftovers tomorrow. My son stopped by and ate a plate full and I sent the rest home for his wife! lol Love it! xo diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my!!! I can just almost taste this now! Both of us seem to enjoy the whole wheat pasta selections, so that's one way we might make a better carb choice at our house. Thank you for yet another great idea!

    ReplyDelete