Saturday, January 7, 2012

Magic Muffins

Assembling ingredients

Wet ingredients in measuring cup to add to dry ingredients

Muffins as they have been removed from the oven

As promised, today I am posting this recipe for Magic Muffins.  It came from the Weight Watchers Message Board at least two years ago or longer, and is one of  my favorites.  

MAGIC MUFFINS

1 1/2 cup uncooked wheat bran
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini or canned crushed pineapple, drained

Note:  I have actually never made these with the zucchini, preferring the pineapple instead.  I use a 15-oz. can of crushed pineapple, drained, then measure out the cup.  There will be a very small amount of pineapple left over from the can.

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine egg, skim milk, applesauce, and extract in a measuring cup.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Stir in zucchini or pineapple.
- Fill 12 muffin cups which I have lined with foil liners.  This is my preference as it makes for easier cleanup.:-)
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Enjoy!

Leftover muffins should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or place them in the freezer.  I simply remove the desired number from the freezer, peel off the foil liner, wrap the muffin in a bit of paper towel, and warm it in the microwave.  They do not keep well for very long stored at room temperature.

Have a great day!


4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so excited to see this recipe, Nellie! I was reading recently about how wheat bran is the very best fiber you can eat, so I recently made my very first loaf of wheat bran bread ever. And now I wanted to find more wheat bran recipes, and here you are! Thank you so much, I am excited to try this. And thank you for coming by my blog to visit me, too. Happy healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by and for the encouragement. I am glad you have some recipes. I never ever made it to lifetime. I would get close and just panic.
    I am so tired of that it is why I started my blog to stay accountable.
    Thanks for coming by and becoming a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, now those are some beautiful muffins, thankyou so much for visitng me and I just joined as a follower so I won't miss any of your posts,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look absolutely wonderful! I wonder whether you could also use canned pumpkin instead of zucchini or pineapple....Might have to try that at some point, but these sound really great! I like the idea of freezing them, too, since we don't usually eat very much at a time and this would be a make-ahead kind of thing for us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete