Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Another bowl, please....

The beginning of that famous WW soup!

Carrots, onions, and garlic in a small amount of olive oil.

Ready to bubble and work that magic!

This is a Weight Watchers recipe that has been printed in their Three-Month Journal from a few years ago - 2006 - and I have also seen it on the website.  It is a very good basic vegetable soup.  When you read the ingredients in the recipe, you will see why you would be able to "have another bowl, please.":-)

GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP

1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup diced green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans (I used frozen from the store.)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini (From last summer's garden, in our freezer!)
3 cups fat-free broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable) {I  used vegetable.}

- In a large saucepan, saute carrot, onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir, then add cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano, salt, and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until beans are tender.  Stir in 1/2 cup diced zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot.  Servings:  four

This is really tasty, and you can see why it is all right to have another bowl!:-)  

While our weather here has been very unseasonably warm, I am still enjoying cooking some of those dishes associated with winter months.  Tomorrow, Barleyburger Stew!


Today is my sister's 43rd wedding anniversary!  She is probably reading this, so I want to wish her a happy anniversary!  She is ahead of us by 8 months!

Thank you for reading.  I truly enjoy your comments!



8 comments:

  1. happy aniversary to your sister and her husband!
    This soup sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this recipe. It sounds wonderful. You have been married 43 years? I will be married 32 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be married 43 years in August. What is good about the soup is that it has nothing to count in it!:-)
    Thank you for your comments, Laurie and Kim.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this thing still shows me as "unknown," but you know that I'm your sister! We have had a most enjoyable day, but my dinner would NOT be found in the WW cookbook! My hubby didn't do too badly, though, with his choice of a salad w/grilled chicken breast. We won't talk about what I had, but at least it didn't make my sugar go through the roof! :-) Thank you all for your good wishes. We are now officially working on #44, so stay tuned....

    Years ago, this soup did not include carrots and onions, as they were not considered "free" veggies at that time. It's a really great soup to have on hand for those times when you just need something to fill up an empty spot in your tummy. Very hearty and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, dear sister, for your faithful following of this little blog.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to make that all the time and haven't made it in years! That s a great soup! Happy Anniversary to your sister. How lucky you are to have a sister! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm adding this to the list of soups to attempt. My Josie would eat soup three times a day. This sounds fabulous. Happy Anniversary to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Nellie...this soup sounds amazing and I love the fact that I'd be able to have 'another' bowl of soup!! (Happy anniversary to your sister!)

    Blessings,
    xoox Gert

    ReplyDelete