Friday, July 5, 2013

On the shelf....

If you have been following this blog for awhile, you know that I have a strong attachment to books.:-)  That is probably putting it mildly.:-)  Children's books especially are a favorite, particularly those with really special illustrations.

Then comes the day when children "graduate" on to more involved books and stories.  Our Boy Munchkin has taken that step.

Harry Potter!

Have you read any of the Harry Potter series?  When I was teaching, there were a few in my third grade class who became interested in them, so I read them as well.  (I should really go back and do some rereading).  Boy Munchkin has read ALL of these books!  He has even "graduated" to this one.

I really need to review this one!

In fact, Boy Munchkin has even begun reading the other books in the Lord of the Rings series!  They were favorites of Country Girl when she was at home.

If you might be interested in reading about the Minipins, this is the book for  you!

It has been a really long time since I read this one!

You are probably familiar with the first book in this series.

Someone is reading it!

These novels are by C.S. Lewis and are the ones that follow "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe."

There is another author whom our daughters enjoyed.  Madeline L'Engle wrote some good books for children, as well as books that would appeal to more mature readers.

If you are interested in reading fantasy, these would all be good choices.

We have more than 16 inches of rain above our average for this point in the year, and rain affected many plans for festivities on the Fourth of July around here.  In fact, for several days reading a book indoors has been an excellent plan!:-)  It also seems that will be the case for the next several days as well. 

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Nellie, As a child I would have read everyone, if I could have. But for some reason, now , I can't . I just can't do make believe, fairies, wizards, or things like that. I like biographies more now. But isn't it interesting to watch our children and g.kids learn form reading.xox,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do appreciate the C. S. Lewis books, as they carry a true spiritual theme, but I'm like Susie about the others. I just haven't been able to understand the fascination with things that deal with witchcraft, especially when those books are aimed at children. It seems that books have changed dramatically from when our son was devouring the Hardy Boys books and our daughter was enjoying Nancy Drew! It has been great indoor weather, for sure! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all that rain and more expected, you might be doing even more reading. Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all the Harry Potter books too. I've just given them away when we moved.
    Happy 4th to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must echo the first two comments. For some reason I can't get interested in reading Harry Potters and the other you mentioned.

    I like fictional books inspired by real people and events like The Help but since I'm busy most of the time I only read books that uplift me and make me more aware of who I am.

    I read some inspirational books, self help books and biography, psychology, when I had time I used to read some of the more popular fictional books but I can't seem to get interested in them any more.

    I love books, and I need more reading time. There is just so many wonderful things to keep me totally occupied.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read, too, but not so much fantasy. I did read the first book of Harry Potter and liked it, but got bored in the middle of the second book. I loved "A Wrinkle in Time" and read that in Junior High School several centuries ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for your kind words of encouragement and for your prayers for my health,
    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a kid I loved The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I read all the Harry Potter books and in fact just re-read them again last month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love books, too. Always have. When I was a kid you could find me hiding with a book somewhere. I can't believe how much rain you have had- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of the books you wrote about today. In fact, I try to read Harry Potter every July. I don't get anything done though when I am at Hogwarts. :)
    I should really think about it.
    Our kids read the same books it seems.
    My husband still reads the Hobbit every year too.
    My daughter has started reading the C.S. Lewis books to her kids this year. It makes me so happy to see good books passed down.

    ReplyDelete