Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Those blackberries....

Happy Wednesday to you!  I hope you are enjoying your week. 

Our weather this week has been extremely mild for this point in July.  In fact, we heard tonight that the low temperature of 59 degrees on Monday morning actually set a new record for low on that date!  Tuesday morning missed setting a record by one degree!  There is more rain predicted, though.

We also heard that Tuesday was actually National Cheesecake Day!  Now, I am a fan of cheesecake!  It would be good if I could come up with a recipe for cheesecake featuring blackberries.:-)  Until then, though, this recipe will have to suffice.

This recipe appeared in our local newspaper sometime ago. 

BLACKBERRY VELVET CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

6 ounces white chocolate
2 1/2 chps flour
12 Tablespoons softened butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
6 eggs
4 cups blackberries
3/4 teaspoon almond extract

- Line a jelly roll pan with foil and butter lightly.  Melt white chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water until smooth.  In a large bowl beat butter until creamy.  Gradually beat in sugar, then beat in eggs one at a time.  Beat in white chocolate and almond extract.
- Sift together flour and salt, then gradually beat into batter.  Fold in pecans, then berries, and spread in prepared pan.
- Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.  When done, turn upside down on a clean dish towel and cool.
- Frost with cream cheese icing.
FROSTING:
8 ounce package cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- To make icing, combine all ingredients with a mixer until smooth.
- Serves 12.

Ready for the oven!

Just out of the oven!

Removed from pan, with foil removed!

The Husband actually prefers this cake without the frosting.  No surprise there.:-)  We also manage to find more than 12 servings in this cake!:-) 

The Husband was successful in repairing the cultivator!  He put it right in service, too! 

I am still having problems making my visits to your blogs.  Often, if I am able to read your blog, I will have difficulty posting a comment.  I hope to take care of this in the next day or so!  If I don't get around to you, that is why.

Have a great Wednesday!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that cake does look yummy! Happy to hear that The Husband was successful with the cultivator as well! Have a wonderful Wednesday, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look yummy. I'd prefer it no-frosting either

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy cake Nellie. I had to change to Google Chrome. Once I did that all of my problems went away. I didn't want too but now I have a lot less problems than I did. I hope this helps Nellie. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 59 degrees sounds heavenly!

    Are you using IE? You might try switching to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, With or without frosting, it looks very good. We are having that good cooler sleeping weather too. Love it. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie- That is just a good sounding recipe! Yum. I would probably like it WITH the icing. Hope you get your computer problems fixed soon- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks good without icing. It makes my tummy want some with a nice cup of tea.


    Hope that your posting comments problems will get fixed.

    Take care,
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. National Cheesecake Day. I didn't know there was such thing, but sounds like a great idea. I'll have to make one next year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. I've got blueberries and strawberries and am so enjoying the fresh berries. It's lovely here, too, and I did some extra walking just because it was so lovely. Perfect summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this makes me so hungry oh I can almost taste it and smell the aroma, I have a feeling I will be making this as soon as I find some of those delicious berries. Glad the cultivator is fixed always a good thing:) B

    ReplyDelete
  11. great looking cake! i hope the cool weather continues!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my how scrumptious!!!! You need to stop with all these great recipes I'm trying soo hard to be good:)

    Leann

    ReplyDelete