Wednesday, July 10, 2013

That baking show....

In an earlier post, I mentioned Munchomom's auditioning for a baking show and referred you to her blog, cafecarol.com, where she related the story of her experience.  Well, we have been watching the show, which airs on Wednesday evenings, each week.  Doing so has given us some extra motivation to try to bake the things the contestants have had to bake.

Well, time has passed rather quickly, because the finale of the show is tonight!  It will be exciting to see what is planned for the three finalists who remain.

A couple of weeks ago, one of their assignments was baked custard.  This is something I had never been motivated to try, so I searched through my cookbook collection to find a recipe that wouldn't be too challenging.:-)

Final result.

Sometimes I become so focused on the task at hand that I forget to take pictures of the steps as I am working through them.   Here is the recipe, which comes from Betty Crocker's Cookbook from 1986.

BAKED CUSTARD

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
2 1/2 cups milk, scalded
Ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.  Gradually stir in milk.  Pour into six 6-ounce custard cups; sprinkle with nutmeg.  Place cups in rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, on oven rack.  Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups.

Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, about 45 minutes.  Remove cups from water.  Serve warm or chilled.   Refrigerate any remaining custards immediately.  6 servings.

The Husband has enjoyed these, as did the Munchkins when they visited last week.

Have you made Baked Custard before?

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. I have never made baked custard before. I do like it though and your custard looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the olden days when I was in grade school and the school cafeteria made every thing from scratch, best food you ever tasted too. They would make custard for our desert. That was about the last time I have eaten it. I think yours turned out fantastic. I need to try it again. I don't think I liked it much then but you know how tastes change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made custard, but I definitely remember eating our grandmother's egg custard pie! Of course, it was baked without the water bath, but was always so smooth and delicious. Hmmmm....I wonder how difficult it would be to make a chocolate custard of some sort. Maybe I'll look for a recipe, but in the meantime, I congratulate you on yours---it looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother always baked custard. I never liked it and still don't. I think its a texture thing. But I love the smell of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made custards and puddings and they are among my favorites. I haven't made any in awhile, but I liked the recipes for them in "Joy of Cooking."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't remember attempting custard. Yours looks yummmmmmmmmmmmm!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never have made it but boy, do I love it. I haven't had true real baked custard since I was about 12. My brothers- about- to- be mother-in-law made a large 12 inch one for Thanksgiving and a pumpkin custard pie as well. I thought I had hit nirvana! Oh, so good. The only reason I don't make it is two fold. One, I haven't any custard cups and where do you buy them these days? Two, having to fins a pan wherein one could provide the proper height of a water bath...who has such a pan? So, that's my excuse for not having delicious enchanting I love it so, baked custard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made plain custard but I've made creme brule which is some form of custard with caramelized sugar at the base. It's a nice desert made for special occasion.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never made it either, but you are reminding me that my mother has a recipe that I need to get from her. That was a favorite treat I haven't had in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 45 minute baking time is enough to convince me this would be a winter cooking experience, if I did decide to try it. It's too hard to keep the house cool in the summer, without using the oven.

    Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made bakes custard in a long time. It was a staple in our house when I was a kid- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete