Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Recipe time....

On Friday, January 25th, my sister (who follows this blog) and her husband celebrated their 44th anniversary!  A belated Happy Anniversary to you, dear Sister!

Over a week ago, we welcomed a few good friends to our home for brunch.  One of the items on the menu was Crustless Quiche.

Chopped herbs.

I had intentions of taking pictures of the entire process.  However, I became so involved in preparations that I failed to photograph the steps!  I created the plate to show you, though.

Ham and Crisscross Potatoes.

Glazed Fruit.

CRUSTLESS QUICHE

2 Tablespoons snipped fresh basil, oregano, rosemary, and/or thyme
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk, half & half, or light cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup chopped cooked ham, roasted or grilled chicken, and/or steamed or stir-fried vegetables
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese - or - 4 oz. cubed Brie
1 Tablespoon flour

Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.  Sprinkle 2 T. herbs on bottom of plate; set aside.  Stir together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.  Stir in meat or vegetables.  In a small bowl, toss togethre cheese and flour.  Add to egg mixture; mix well.
Pour egg mixture into prepared pie plate.  Bake in a 325 F. degree oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  Cut into wedges.  Six servings.

I have had this recipe for a number of years.  It was in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine more than 10 years ago, and I don't remember the issue.

GLAZED FRUIT
1 package frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
1 can peach pie filling
1 15-oz. can chunk pineapple, drained
1 large banana, sliced

Combine strawberries, pie filling, and pineapple.  Stir until blended.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Add sliced banana just before serving.

CRISSCROSS POTATOES

Baking Potatoes, halved, the number depends on the servings desired.
Melted butter, salt, pepper
Paprika

Halve baking potatoes (that have been washed, of course).  With a knife, mark the cut side of the potatoes in a diagonal fashion, just barely through the surface, until you have crisscrossed the potato surface.  Brush with melted butter.  Bake at 350 F. degree oven for 45 minutes.  Salt and pepper as desired.  Sprinkle with paprika, and bake for 15 more minutes.

On the subject of recipes, I was given the day off this month for cooking for the adult day care program at our church, something I have been doing on the first Tuesday of the month.  The day care was closed on New Year's Day, and that was the first Tuesday.  February is fast-approaching, though, and I will be cooking for Tuesday, February 5.  More recipes are on the way in a few days.

The next post - Saying goodbye....

Thank you for reading.   I appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. enjoy that day off I hope, this is a lovely meal, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, That is a prefect meal... I may write this down for later ,when I have a Sister luncheon, with all my sisters. Happy belated b-day to your sister. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Anniversary wish to your sister and her hubby.

    If she follows this blog, what is her blogging name?? If she READS here, she CERTAINLY leaves comments, doesn't she?

    And if not, may "Auntie" please point out to her, that it is polite to do so.

    What I love is the table cloth, which shows up in your photos.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your belated anniversary wishes for my hubby and me! It's been 44 interesting years, and we are blessed!

    Yes, I do make comments every day on my dear sister's blog, but if you don't know that it's me, I don't know what to do about that! :-)

    Nellie, these recipes are just wonderful, and I thank you for sharing them with us. I also love the snowman tablecloth. Those little guys always look so happy! See you later, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipes Nellie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being gluten free I love the crustless idea!

    Thanks!

    Thanks for the ideas for wedding flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie- I have made that crustless quiche for years, too. It is so good! And low in carbs if you are watching them. The fruit compote sounds good, too.

    Saying goodbye? You better not be saying goodbye!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had quiche in FOREVER! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quiche looks terrific. I'm trying to stay away from bread and doing a crustless quiche is perfect. I think it will be on my menu for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of crustless quiche. What a lovely variation on this yummy recipe. I can't wait to try this when our Chicago friends visit us again.

    ReplyDelete