Friday, August 15, 2014

A recommendation....

Happy Friday to you!  Has it seemed like a long week?  Perhaps you have been very busy, making the week seem to pass more quickly.  Whichever the case, Friday has arrived, and another week-end is very near.

Once again, this week has given some time for reading.


This book is on the United Methodist Women Reading Program for 2014, listed under Nurturing for Community.  It is a work of fiction, and you may be able to read that it received the Man Asian Literary Prize (copyright 2011).  Translated from Korean, it is the story of a woman who goes missing - Mom - and the memories and reflections of members of her family. 

Mom, 69 years old, becomes separated from her husband at the Seoul subway station, and it is not until the first stop that he realizes she had not boarded behind him.  Returning to the station, she is nowhere to be found, and thus begins a desperate search to find her.  Kyung-Sook Shin has written in a captivating way of the time that follows and the regrets felt by her family.  I found it difficult to put the book down once I began reading, and I am continuing to make progress on that Reading Program!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, MY!!! That does sound like a compelling read! I think I would also have a hard time putting it down, so I just might see if I can find this one somewhere. Thanks for the recommendation, and have a fabulous Friday, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful and you have captured my attention. I will look for this one on Amazon. Thank you.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your reading and have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie , this book is a must read . I think I will put it to a vote with the prayer club to start a Reading Program ... for young and old alike . Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, I like books that hold your attention. It's been a long time for me . I have started many books , only to lay them aside and never finish. I will read the kid books though...maybe I want to be a little girl again. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound like a good book. I'm going over to get a copy right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie..I am finally playing catch up today. Been a busy week so got really behind on reading the blogs!
    Your book looks really interesting and like a good read.

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Thank you for sharing about this captivating book. I wish you a blessed weekend. Love, Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good book. Maybe I should recommend it to my book club. We need a good book for a change. : )
    My week flew by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a compelling story. I like a book that is hard to put down.

    Not only the week went by fast, but I can't believe we are already mid August. Wow.

    Have a great weekend Nellie.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete