Monday, August 18, 2014

Are you still with me?

The beginning of another week for the month of August is here!  Will it be a busy one for you?

You will recall that I've been taking you through More Than A Vacation.  Are you still with me?  We have yet another stop to make on the same day that I left you in downtown Meadowview.



In Bristol, Virginia has been a college called Virginia Intermont.  When I was a student at Emory and Henry, it was a women's junior college.  I am not sure about the directions it may have taken in the number of years since I graduated, but wherever it had headed did not prove to be in a successful direction.  Consequently, the college closed its doors following the past school term.

During the summer, it was announced that Emory and Henry was acquiring the Equine Studies program, now known as Intermont Esquestrian at Emory and Henry.  Virginia Intermont has had a history of success with this program, and there are pictures to follow that show some of the horses that were in the barn the afternoon we visited, as well as the rings that are available for riding.







The horses, of course, are always hopeful that there may be a treat awaiting them when people pass through the stable.  It would be great to see some of them go through their programs in this arena.

There have been several National Championships awarded to the program.  Now, Emory and Henry will be able to offer, for the first time, a concentration in Equine Studies.  The former Virginia Intermont equine department staff has been given office space on Emory and Henry campus, and they have already relocated there.

Country Girl would have dearly loved this availability when she was a student at Emory and Henry.  We told her that she was just 20 years ahead of her time.:-)

Well, you may think that I have finally finished with this day, which was Friday, August 1.  I believe I have mentioned earlier that the Alumni Director and the committee plan a very full, packed schedule for us, and there were still stops to make ahead of us.  More on that another day!  I hope you will return.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. What a great aquisition for E & H!!! Yes, Country Girl would have spent a LOT of time with those lovely horses, and she would have enjoyed every minute! She did very well with what was offered at the time she was there, including some awards for her photography. This looks like an amazing day you had, and I'm glad you had the energy for everything! Have a marvelous Monday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what gorgeous horses. I hope that you have a great week nellie.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Nellie ,
    You are having a great more than a vacation .The horses are beautiful . We have a few horses and love to ride . Thanks for visiting and a good day to you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the day that option would have been right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful horses indeed. I have a fondness for horses - especially growing up here in central KY :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The horses are beautiful for sure. Since I also grew up in horse country in Kentucky, I think they're great. I bet the equine program at the college will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure are pretty horses. The horses around are always hopeful for treats too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, Since I grew up in Big Stone Gap, I am aware both of VI and E&H.... As a good Methodist girl, I almost went to E&H College when I chose Tennessee Wesleyan --in 1960... You might ask why I chose TWC instead of E&H.. WELL--it was because the TWC College Choir came to our town and church. Some of the college members stayed in our home. I fell in love with them and their director and choir. I decided that I wanted to sing in THAT choir. I don't recall E&H Choir ever coming to our hometown....

    Neat program for E&H to acquire....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie ,
    You are having a great time , enjoy it . The horses are beautiful , going to carry the horses some carrots this evening and if the weather is nice in the morning , I will go riding with Witchy ;-D thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie, I am loving all the view of the campus. Those horses are so pretty. It would be tempting to feed them a treat. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The horses are beautiful and I hope the program will be very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nellie,
    I would have loved that too. What a way to go to school and major in what I loved more than anything in the world.
    Too bad it is too late for me too. What a wonderful arena.
    Nice that they had the champion dressage rider too.
    I have enjoyed seeing all of the places you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish so much I could attend this college. How much I'd love having horse classes! :) Love all the pictures, what a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete