Friday, August 1, 2014

This week....

Friday has arrived!  How have things been for you this week?  Do you have some good things planned for the week-end ahead?

Last Friday I mentioned a book by Kelly Corrigan - Glitter and Glue.  I remember mentioning that it was a memoir, and that she had written a couple of other books.  Going to the library in search of these books was on my "to do" list.


This is actually the first one she wrote.  I was expecting to find the book in the fiction section, but it was in the non-fiction area.  In this book, Ms. Corrigan relates what it is like to be in that "middle place" when one matures and becomes part of her own family (husband and children), while also maintaining a role as an adult child no longer the responsibility of her parents.  

Ms. Corrigan has written very well of her diagnosis - and treatment - of breast cancer, while also assuming a position of support for her father, who is also dealing with a cancer diagnosis.

Here is the other book she has written:


How many of you with children took the time to write memories of their childhood when they were young?  Certainly not myself!  There seemed to be too many other things that needed attention.  In this book, however, Ms. Corrigan writes to her daughters about the times she wants them to remember - the times that come earlier than their memories begin.  I could not put the book down once I began reading it!  

While some of the expressions she uses in her writing are not part of my daily expressions, I was able to appreciate the experiences and emotions she was relating to the readers.  Very moving writing about some very serious subjects.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. These look like some compelling books! I have not read any of her writings, but perhaps I should look for them. I have not recorded memories for my children, either, but maybe I should start now, while MY memory is still working! Have a fabulous Friday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, You have just given me a great idea. I think I'll start writing down some things for my girls. I have told them plenty of stories about their growing up days. I think the author must have grit to get through all you mentioned. Blessings for a wonderful day, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I had written down some of the memories of my sons --as they grew up... I did NOT --and wish now that I had done it..

    Kelly Corrigan seems like a fabulous writer. I would enjoy reading her books I'm sure since she talks about REAL life which we all live!

    I was talking to someone yesterday about how hard she is finding it to 'let' her adult children GO --and allow them to have their own lives, while she tries to fill that huge void in her own life...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Middle Place a long time ago..seems long..It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think is a wonderful to write about some important events in a child's life but most moms are even busier than we were when raising our kids but they make up for it by taking a multitude of digital photos and some have blogs, are on Facebook or other media. My son in law gets photo books of his boys every year. It's wonderful.

    This weekend is my husband High School reunion.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always kept journals so have written lots of things that the kids have done, but never wrote anything for them.

    Some of the things I think they will remember because I thought they were special they don't. Then things they remember as special, I don't. Memory is a funny thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie ,haven't wrote anything down , have lots of pictures and videos , I would love to read Ms. Corrigan books , so off the th bookstore tomorrow , if not in stock they will order it , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds wonderful though, you know Nellie, since my Mom died when I was eleven, one of the things I longed for was anything she would have wrote for me about me, I mean did she love me. I know she did but anything would have helped. So I started writing then and I have wrote all of my life and yes, I did write for my children, I have journals filling this house for each year. I have devotionals that I made notes in while I was waiting to have them.
    I need to gather them up so each one will know. That is a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie..
    Hi...I have never read any of her books, but they sound very interesting! I did write some of the memories of my kids..and have given both of them their books.

    No plans for the weekend yet.

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie - we can always count on you for good book reviews. We must have similar tastes in books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete