Friday, August 8, 2014

A very good place to start....

....is the beginning!  I have completely skipped over the first evening of More Than A Vacation, so I'm shifting into reverse for this one.

In our packet of information for our MTAV stay, we found this:


This was the schedule for us to follow for the time we were there.


Everything was planned for us beforehand using that Wizard of Oz theme, as I mentioned earlier.

After our first meal together, we had the pleasure of listening to one of the current professors of the college.


Dr, Jerry Jones actually grew up in Glade Spring, a small community not far from the campus of Emory and Henry College.  This book includes his family history and his journeys before he finally returned to the area and became part of the faculty at Emory and Henry.



It was particularly meaningful for me to have a chance to talk with him, as he has memories of several people who were at Emory and Henry while I was a student there.  

A personal note here - I was a junior at Clinton High School in the fall of 1956 when court-ordered integration affected the school, so much of what Dr. Jones includes in his book is familiar to me.  I was thrilled to be able to buy a copy of the book, and I will be enjoying reading it in the near future.  

We were in for a treat after his talk to us.  He is quite a good pianist, and we enjoyed hearing him play, particularly "Amazing Grace," which we joined along in singing!

The week-end is upon us.  How does it look for you?  There is rain in the forecast here, so that doesn't sound promising for outdoor activities.  We need the rain, though, as we are still behind our yearly average. 

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sure he was most interesting to hear and see! Those were indeed turbulent years at Clinton High School, and I would recommend that anyone who is unfamiliar with that important piece of history to look it up under "the Clinton Twelve." Also, if anyone is ever in the town of Clinton, that museum/cultural center is most sobering. As you know, Sister, I was a sophomore in the fall of 1958, when our school was blown up on a quiet Sunday morning. LOTS of memories, but perhaps the one that stands out in my mind is the fact that the student body seemed to find a cohesiveness after that explosion that didn't exist before. It was OUR school, and we were ALL affected! Have a fabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun for you Nellie,
    I think you had such a great time visiting.
    I hope you get the rain you need.
    I don't have many plans. The tractor needs some work, so I may be helping fixing the tractor. Cleaning the chicken house is on the agenda too. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, How cute to every thing in OZ. Nice that you enjoyed so much on this trip back to your school. It's too possibly rain here this weekend and we need it. But I am going to practice painting. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had so much fun always nice to go back in time:) OZ would be cool.
    Wedding stuff and haying yup that is what I will be doing:) Have a nice weekend. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds lovely. But now I will be humming that song all evening "I'm off to see the wizard...." Lol.
    It's raining here too. Good excuse to stay in and finish unpacking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great time and how interesting to get to talk to Mr Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you enjoyed his speech and music very much. How wonderful that you have his book now to enjoy.
    We've had some rain today and I am thankful.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are having a great time, Nellie.

    No rain forecast here. As a matter of fact, we are supposed to have sunshine! (So keep the rain down there please. ha ha)

    Take care and thanks so much for your visits. I love them! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie, how fascinating that you and Glenda share this as part of your history. What an amazing time and experience to have personal memories of now. My goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete