Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The last full day....

Is it Wednesday already?  My goodness!  How time passes!  I hope your week is going well for you.

For our last full day at More Than A Vacation, we began with a discussion on this book that I have already mentioned in a previous post.

Remember this one?

A retired Emory and Henry professor is quite an authority on Ron Rash, the author of this book, and we had quite a spirited discussion about the novel.

In appropriate fashion, our mid-day meal was a covered-dish affair!

Of course, I would begin with the desserts!:-)

There were these pecan tarts, coconut cake, that wonderful meringue-topped old-fashioned banana pudding, and dessert bars made from a recipe belonging to one of the assistant librarians when I was a student!  The edge of the platter in front shows sliced heirloom tomatoes, locally grown.

There were some "healthier" choices.

No southern pot-luck is complete without fried chicken!

Macaroni and cheese, hash-brown casserole - true pot-luck faves!

The day came to a close with a covered tent Italian buffet meal on the green of the Barter Playhouse, bringing us back to Abingdon, the town with decorated wolves on display!

One of many all around town.

While Emory and Henry is considered to be a small college, it continues to make a huge difference in people's lives!  If you want to know more, you could find what you want through Google.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

13 comments:

  1. Well, I just finished my breakfast, and now I'm hungry again! What a spread they had for you! Have a wonderful Wednesday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great place to be when you're hungry. I think I'm hungry now... lol. You were well taken care of. This must have been a lot of fun discussing the book.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meringue topped banana pudding, one of my grandmother's favorite things to prepare for church and family functions and condolence meals. Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Nellie. That looked like quite a spread. Good photos! Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks so much for your visits to my blog. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!! Now I want pecan tarts and all the other delicious things, too! :) I have such a sweet tooth and I would definitely start with dessert, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What incredible looking food. I wish I was there right now.
    It looks like such a great vacation and so many wonderful things that you have shared.
    I hope you have a lovely Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie , you rounded the More than a Vacation out with a great book discussion and delicious food , I was drooling and no , nothing is complete with fried chicken , what a feast was had by all .
    Nellie , I laughed so hard ... the only duck hunters I know is in the grocery store . There so many pesticides out there it's kind of scary .
    PS: I love visiting your blog , not the kids are in school , I can be here each day like before . Thanks Nellie for making me feel welcome ~Nee~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't had dinner yet here and I'm starving after reading your blog. Unfortunately, our meal won"t be as tasty as what you have showed in pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie, A book discussion and a pot luck meal. Sounds good. I know there was good food for all. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful meal and that decorated wolf is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete