Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday, August 10, 2014....

If you have been a follower of this blog for awhile,  you know that the United Methodist Women is a great interest of mine.  I have served both my local church and district, and now serve the conference as secretary of program resources.

The Conference sponsors several events throughout the year, giving us an opportunity to learn.  Yesterday was time for one of these events, a Social Action Workshop, held in a nearby town.

We heard presentations relating to domestic violence, homelessness, poverty and hopelessness, and financial management.  We learned the difference between being a "servant" and a "volunteer."  Do you know the difference?

With the words from Matthew 25:31-46, we were challenged to become active in Social Action.  We spend a lot of time in church talking about "fishing."  It is time to "fish!"

From the United Methodist Women Prayer Calendar for 2014, today's Mission Focus is Bethelem Center in Spartanburg. S.C.

May you have a blessed Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. Nellie, I think you serve your church well. I hope I do know the difference:):) Wishing you a great day. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are admonished to become fishers of men! Have a blessed SONday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring message you are sharing, Nellie!
    Setting ideas into action.
    Thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog about the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I know the difference between servant and volunteer. I do volunteer a lot..but do I serve my god as well? I'm sure I don't I'm sorry to say. You are such a blessing and you do serve your church so well.

    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been both a servant and a volunteer but lately, I'm cutting back considerably and I serve behind the scene since I have more responsibility.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete