Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cleaning out....

Am I the only one with a freezer where things become lost on the back of shelves?:-)  I'd say I'm not - unless some of you are really organized and compulsive.;-) 

Recently I took time to do some clearing about of those things that were on the back of the shelves, and I discovered some frozen apples!   Let's just say that they were not from last season, and leave it at that.:-)

Anyway, I said to The Husband, "I will just make a cobbler!"  So, that is what I finally did!

Forgot the "before" picture....

As you are able to see, not only did I forget the "before" photo, I almost forgot the "after!":-) 

This is not a very complicated recipe.  In fact, I may have posted it at sometime earlier.  It is simply called "Batter Pie."  I doubled the recipe for this pie.

BATTER PIE
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
desired fruit pie filling (a can of pie filling, or as much fresh fruit as you like in your cobbler-type pie)

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place butter in baking dish; set in oven to melt while making the batter.
- Combine dry ingredients; add milk, stirring to make a batter.
- Remove dish from oven as butter has melted; pour batter over butter; DO NOT STIR!
- Spoon fruit/pie filling over batter; DO NOT STIR here, either!
- Bake in oven 30 minutes, or until top is golden.

We had about four cups of apples, and I believe I remember that they had been cooked a little before we put them in small freezer jars.

Check your freezer!  You may have some wonderful treats that you have forgotten!:-)

Oh!  That baking dish?  It is a Longaberger product, too.:-)

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments. 


7 comments:

  1. Who doesn't *lose* items, in freezer? And in refrigerator too? ,-)

    "Auntie"

    "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
    for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost things in my freezer at home because it was a big one. My freezer here is on top of the fridge so no room to lose much. :-)

    The pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes!! I have pulled out UFOs (unidentified frozen objects) many times! I'm not as diligent in labeling things as I should be, and got one thing out several months ago that I thought was a chicken breast, so I cooked it. Well, after cooking for several minutes, it was the same as it had been before, and I still have NO idea what it was, but I put it into the trash, since I had no idea how to use it! Oh, well....it wouldn't have made anything as yummy as that apple cobbler, anyway! I love that recipe and have used it many times over the years since you first shared it with me LONG ago! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are reminding me that I haven't poked around our garage freezer in awhile. I also tend to lose things in the refrigerator (time to call out the search parties)! Cobbler sounds yummy and very cozy today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of those compulsive people. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- I have never heard of that pie. I will try this one day soon- I might have a few of those "forgotten" things in the back of my fridge, too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, you are not the only one. I should be doing the same... nice pie.

    ReplyDelete