Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Something healthy....

In 1995, a friend (who reads this blog) gave me a book entitled "Simplify Your Life" by Elaine St. James.  There are 100 ways mentioned that remind us to slow down so that we may enjoy the things in life that really matter,   Among the chapters are suggestions for simplifying your household, your life-style, your job, and - among others - your health.  It is this last one that is my focus in this post, especially the suggestion to "eat a muffin!"

Wet ingredients ready to add to the dry ingredients.

Cooling on the rack.

So, this recipe comes from the book I mentioned above. 

GIBBS'S OAT BRAN MUFFINS

2 1/2 cups of oat bran
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup
2 Tablespoons chopped almonds
Handful of raisins or blueberries (I used raisins)
1/4 cup shredded coconut, optional (I didn't add this).
1 1/4 cup nonfat milk
Whites of two eggs
2 large overripe bananas

- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Make a puree of the remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly with the dry ingredients.
- Fill muffin tins, allowing room for muffins to rise.  If you use blueberries, it is easier to add them by hand to the filled muffin tin.
- Bake at 450 degrees until tops are brown, usually about 15 minutes.  Yield - about a dozen muffins.

We have found these muffins to be very tasty and a good snack choice, as well as a good choice at breakfast.

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! Thanks for sharing this recipe, and I'll bet that book is a really great one! Enjoy your day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The muffins sound delicious Nellie. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful. I am back on W.W. I am doing pretty good I think.
    Having that wedding staring at me helps me a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Elaine St. James, and all her books!!!!

    So of course I remember Gibbs's Oat Bran Muffins.

    Do you have any more of Elaine's books?

    Waving Hi to your friend/reader, who gave "Simplify Your Life" to you. Wonder if she has read all of Elaine's books????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, If anyone is interested (like I am), I looked up the nutrition info on these muffins.

    Each muffin:
    103.5 calories; 2.5 grams of fat; 22.8 carbs; 3.4 grams of fiber; 8.5 grams of sugar, and 5 grams of protein...

    Since I am watching my weight, I love to check out the nutrition in certain things.

    These muffins look awesome. Thanks, Nellie.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy. Something good for you and tastes good.

    ReplyDelete