Tuesday, February 19, 2013

On Monday....

Monday was President's Day, so, in observance of that day, I made Macaroni and Cheese!  What?  You didn't know Macaroni and Cheese was suitable for President's Day?  Didn't Yankee Doodle call that feather in his hat "macaroni?" 

Have a heart....
February gives us several options to become festive!  Heart-shaped pasta just seemed to be in order for this day's celebratory meal of Macaroni and Cheese!

Ready for the oven....
The thought of President's Day just gave me reason to bring out this patriotic baking dish.

The Stars and Stripes....
The baking dish is a Longaberger Pottery design.  I don't think it is available any longer. 

Accessories....  
There is a lid to the casserole dish and also this ramekin. 

Leftovers!

It is good to have leftovers!:-)  The Husband really enjoyed this on Monday night!  It is just a plain and simple recipe that I will share below.  I have had it in my files FOREVER, probably from a newspaper clipping at some point.

MACARONI AND CHEESE
4 cups cooked macaroni
2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cup milk
6 oz. cheese, cheddar, grated
- Cook macaroni; drain.
- Make sauce: melt butter in saucepan, add flour; cook till bubbly.  Slowly add milk; cook and stir till boiling.  Boil one minute; stir in 1/2 cup cheese; stir till melted.  In greased 2 qt. dish place one layer of macaroni; pour half of sauce over; sprinkle with half cheese.  Repeat.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

I sprinkled some bread crumbs on top and sprayed with an olive oil spray.  There have been times when I have added some chopped ham.

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds so good to me. It is windy and blowing and blustery here today. Perfect mac and cheese weather. I have never seen the heart shaped pasta though- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a terrific casserole. i've never sen that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. President's Day Macaroni....I love it! That casserole dish is amazing! I'd be scared to use it in case I dropped it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mac & cheese, a true comfort food for me. My kids love it too so I try and have it when they are both here. Thanks for the recipe Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that was a HUGE hit with The Husband!! There's just nothing like mac'n'cheese to get a person in a festive mood! That baking dish is wonderful, too, and I'm sure it enjoys being used for such a delicious, homey purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful recipe. I think my kids would eat Macaroni and cheese every single day if I fixed it. It is a real favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like mac and cheese. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love that Mac and cheese dish... YUM... So many people these days use Velveeta in their mac and cheese --and I NOT care for it... I'm a cheddar person!!!!

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My guilty pleasure is mac and cheese. That casserole is wonderful. Love the design and the rich color. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mac and cheese is a good food for President's Day, Nellie - do you know that Thomas Jefferson has the credit of introducing it in this country?

    ReplyDelete