Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sneak preview....

Just a week from today is the first Tuesday of March.  That is my day to prepare lunch for the adult day care program participants and staff at my church.  Because of a crazy schedule here between now and then, I have tried to get a head start where it is possible.  In this post, you will have a sneak preview of - what else?  Dessert!!

Just out of the oven!

Topping added.

Drizzled with glaze.

I have probably shared this recipe with you before.  It has been in my files for around 35 years - or more!  One of the mothers in the Mothers of Twins Club brought these to a tasting party we had years ago.

EXQUISITE MINT STICKS
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsifted flour
dash salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) - I omitted these.
- Melt butter and chocolate together.  Beat eggs and stir in sugar.  Stir into chocolate mixture.  Add vanilla, flour, salt, and nuts.  Mix well.  Pour into greased 8 x 8 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes.  Cool.
TOPPING
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon cream
drop oil of peppermint (not peppermint extract)
food coloring, if desired (I added a bit of green; St. Patrick's Day and all that).:-)
- Blend all together.  Spread over cooled brownie.  Let set or refrigerate till firm.
GLAZE
1 square unsweetened chocolate
1 Tablespoon butter
- Melt together; drizzle over topping; chill; cut into inch-wide strips

These freeze very well, so they will be fine when I thaw them on next Monday evening.

These will be served in an arrangement of other cookies, so you have the second installment of "sneak preview" coming up next!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, those are wonderful!! I have enjoyed them many times at your home, and I'm sure those day care folks will be pleased as well! Just don't be surprised if you don't have any leftovers to take home... :-)

    Have a great day today, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUMMM! I love the flavor of mint and these sound delicious. They look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mint too! These sound wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie, The mint sticks looks fabulous... GEE--those Adult Daycare people really get a great meal from you.... Hooray!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mint. Those mint sticks look soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds WAY too good- like eat the whole pan good! Thanks for the recipe- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm..that looks wonderful!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete