Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Eat dessert first....

What is the rest of that quote?  Something about "Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first!"  I believe Susan Branch has featured that comment from time to time.:-)

With that in mind, the recipe that I will share with you today is - you guessed it!  Dessert!:-)

As I have mentioned, this is the day that I provide lunch for the adult day care program at our church. The menu I have selected has been greatly influenced by the brunch menu when we had guests a few weeks ago.  It includes quiche, baked potatoes, glazed fruit, banana bread muffins, and chocolate pound cake.  I will try to remember to take a picture of the plate as it is served and post it one day in the future.

Now - to the recipe!  This has been in my file for years and years!  I actually remember baking it about 43 years ago as a treat during a snow storm, and I had already baked it several times earlier.

CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE

2 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

- Line bottom of a tube pan with waxed paper; lightly grease and flour sides of pan.
- Cream sugar, shortening, and butter.  Add eggs, one at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients.  Add to other mixture alternately with milk.  Add vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Bake cake in tube pan for one hour (I needed to add 15 minutes for baking this one).

Ready for the oven.

Just out of the oven!


 I think this cake is good just as it is; however, if you REALLY want to turn it into something decadent, you may serve it with whipped cream - or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with fudge sauce poured over!  Yum!

Well, after this dessert, surely there must come something a bit healthier.  Return, and see what it is!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.











1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

11 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious Nellie. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that really looks delicious! You can't go wrong with chocolate, as far as I'm concerned! Your menu sounds like something that those folks will be sure to enjoy, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks ever so yummy. But 2 sticks of butter, scared me . LOL You know Dr. Atkins says eat butter, it's natural, margerine is not. So okay 2 sticks of butter. Do you cook and bake all the time? I envy women like you , who are good cooks. I told my husband ,"I can cook too, just not in the kitchen. " LOL..man that's an old joke, just like me. Enjoy today, xo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I ever heard of a Chocolate Pound Cake! How about that? Something NEW, when I am 75... Nearly 76. :-)))))

    Isn't blogging grand?!?

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pound cake, I don't often make one. But anything baked in a bundt pan is always good. I am sure the seniors will enjoy this lunch. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum---looks delicious, Nellie... But--as a creature of HABIT, I could never eat dessert first... Guess I'm too old to change!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my that looks good!!
    I've eaten dessert first before and then had no room for me meal!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how yummy this looks! And very simple recipe....

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so yummy Nellie.
    I bet it would be just fantastic just like it is right out of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate pound cake...be still my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often eat dessert first while I'm waiting for lunch to heat up or whatever. After all, the dessert is all ready to eat, why save it for last?

    ReplyDelete