Monday, February 4, 2013

Weird weather....



The first full week of February is before us.  I wonder what kind of weather it will bring us.  The last week of January was certainly full of all sorts of weather surprises around here.  Actually, some of our "surprises" DID wait until February to come.

Watching the moon.....

....in the Western sky.

I was heading out to pick up the morning paper about 7:15 last Tuesday morning and was able to catch these pictures of the moon as it was moving across to the west.

Wednesday morning....

...the rains came.....

....and came....


....with flooding into the back yards of houses on our street....

....and along the adjoining road.

I apologize for the blurriness of the last picture.  I was in a moving car, and it was difficult to get the proper focus set.

When all was said and done, we measured over four inches of rain in our rain gauge, with about 2 1/2 inches of that coming within a two-hour period.

Following the rain, the high temperatures dropped as many as 30 to 40 degrees by Thursday.  Our high temperature on last Tuesday was near 70 degrees!  Weird!

On Saturday, Groundhog Day, this is what we welcomed.

Not fog!

Some light snow.

On the street and driveways.

 The Saturday snow was not around long, disappearing around midday.  There was a "rerun" for Sunday morning, however, this time taking a bit longer to disappear from where we live.

Looking at the week ahead, things look pretty good as far as weather is concerned.  The tasks that are before me in the immediate hours, however, have to do with preparations for the lunch I provide for the adult day care program at our church.  That must mean it is time for a recipe or two!  Stay tuned!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.


10 comments:

  1. I am always amazed by the way the weather changes from just a few miles away. Some areas not far from us got several inches of snow, while we had barely a dusting, and it was gone before noon on Sunday. Gotta love East TN weather---it's never boring! Looking forward to those recipes, as always! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, We had the same kind of weather here. I went out and walked my driveway yesterday afternoon. Colder than a tin T-shirt. But the sun was out and I love that. Stay warm and dry.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are getting more snow today and then another warm up. i am hoping for more snow before spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather has been very changeable here too. I never know what to wear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has been weird here too, except for getting rain. We need about 9 inches now to be at normal precipitation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather here has been up and down. You never know what to wear in the morning. Except this morning - fresh blanket of snow :(
    Cheers to you for helping with an Adult DayCare program!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your photos! I always appreciate pics of the Moon, rain drops on windows, and fog. :-))))

    Hope those flooded back yards, don't impinge on their cellars!!!!! And hope you didn't get flooding. But being at the top of the hill, I doubt it. Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am so *envious* of your Moon photos! Not really envious. you know what I mean. But I do salute you, for your Moon Shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We also were supposed to get a lot of rain like you, but we lucked out and got less than an inch.
    Hope you're drying out a little!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it has been a weird week when it comes to the weather... I guess now that I've had 'my' snow---I am ready for some spring... ha

    This week does look MUCH better... We may get some rain --but nothing severe and no snow or floods...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather here has been changeable as well. We watch the forecast and then make up our own as it is never right. Just have to keep on keeping on! Joan

    ReplyDelete