Thursday, August 8, 2013

Did you ever.....

.....participate in a Literary Society?  When I was a college student, there were four - two for men and two for women.  At last week's More Than A Vacation, several of our events were held in the restored Literary Society halls. 

The President of the Literary Society sat in the chair during meetings.

Some of the detail from the restoration.

Are you able to translate this language?

The other Literary Society hall.

Ceiling detail.

I have many memories of Literary Society meetings.  The strongest memory I have is from presenting the reading from "The White Cliffs of Dover."  This was given to a combined meeting of both the men's and women's groups.  The top three pictures are from the hall where my group met.  We were called the Thalians, the sister society of the Calliopeans.   Of course, Literary Societies were the center of debate teams, an activity that declined in interest.  In recent years, there has been some renewed interest, and there is once again some action in one of the halls.

Last week, we were served breakfast here for two mornings, and we also heard presentations from faculty and staff members, as well as after dinner entertainment on Saturday evening when we were also served dinner here.

There is more still.:-)  I will be taking you along as we discover some hidden treasures in Southwest Virginia.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate  your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I have never been a member of any literary society (for obvious reasons-HA!), but I do recall your mentioning those meetings when you were in college. It's so wonderful that these halls have been preserved and updated so that current students and visitors may enjoy them for various activities! I'll look forward to your sharing some of those marvelous treasures from Southwestern Virginia, which I think is one of the most beautiful parts of our great country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, Did it take you back in time, to be in those rooms of your college days? Beautiful ceilings.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could translate that! is it russian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie ,
    I know it warmed your heart to see all the memories .

    Thanks for visiting my blog . I join your blog as a follower ,I am looking to see so many beautiful things from Southwest Virginia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I've never been a member of any literary society.
    Thank you for the birthday greeting, Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely details. Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, never did. That's a BIG chair and some serious detailing all around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Fun and lots to enjoy!! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from SW VA. xo so I like this.

    ReplyDelete