Tuesday, August 20, 2013

From the beginning....

There are more new followers!  Welcome!

Thank you for the happy anniversary wishes.  As I have mentioned, The Husband and I married 44 years ago on Friday, August 16.  My Sister and her hubby entertained us with lunch out.

My salad at O'Charley's.

Thank you, Sister!

The Husband and I took an anniversary trip.  The scenery was beautiful!



We were heading to Hot Springs, NC!

Our trip was complicated due to the closure of the usual route, necessitating a detour, which made the drive about twice as long!  When we arrived, we were ready for lunch!


Very good salad with grilled shrimp!

We found a place to stay - Laughing Heart Lodge. 


The Chapel in the background.

The Lodge in the background.

The hostel at the end of the driveway.

The exterior of the Lodge.


A view of the interior.

Breakfast was served here.
The house was originally built as a private residence.  The Jesuits acquired the property, added rooms onto the perimeter of the building, and operated it as a Jesuit Retreat Center for a number of years.

A robe in the display case.

Items in the same display case.
Our room.
Hot Springs, NC is known for natural warm springs prompting the developing of a resort/spa area.  Also, Hot Springs is on the Appalachian Trail.  As City Girl and the Country Couple had both been to Hot Springs previously, we thought we would give it a try. 

The row of  hot tub enclosures at the spa.

Ready and waiting for us.

Beautiful view from the Unit.
Thankfully, we encountered NO RAIN on this trip!  However, as we were returning home from Little Munchkin's party the next day, we were met with rain about a mile from home.  The rain continued through the evening and overnight, resulting in 1 1/2 inches in the rain gauge! 

There is still more from that OTHER trip we took July 31-August 4.  More to follow!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. You are most welcome for that lunch! We enjoyed the visit with you all more than the food, which was wonderful! As you know, I took half of my salad home and enjoyed it that evening for supper.

    Hot Springs looks like a lovely town, with many ways to spend your time. I'm so happy that you all got away for that day, even though the traffic was not enjoyable. Perhaps we'll make it across the mountain one of these days.

    Have a terrific Tuesday, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy salads! looks like a great trip! can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that detour looks like a beautiful drive though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a beautiful retreat. Glad you got away for a little R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nellie ... what a lovely time you had on your anniversary and many wore to come ... enjoy making happy memories . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm..my favorite thing to order out is a good salad. The trip looks and sounds lovely - then again you had the best company:)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a very nice get away. Everything looks inviting and the food look yummy.

    Next year is the big 45 and you'll have to celebrate again.
    I have a connection with the Jesuits as I took the St Ignatius Exercises a few years back and I still profit from what I learned and the changes I've made in my life.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the detour but it looks like you had a wonderful, wonderful lunch. I just love the place you stayed. 44 years- quite a tribute in today's age! Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are all beautiul Nellie. Lunch looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some mighty good looking food there. Yummy.
    What a great name, Laughing Heart Lodge. It makes me smile just saying the name.
    Glad you had such a good time. It's so nice to get away once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those salads looks great and I could sure use some Laughing Heart... and a hot tub!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've had lots and lots of trips lately... That is so neat!!!!!

    Don't think I've been to Hot Springs--but I might have gone through it (since we travel the backroads alot).. I know it's not far from Newport...

    Hope you all enjoyed that Hot Tub... I would love that.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nellie...sorry I missed your anniversary... "late Happy Anniversary!" smile.. Looks like you had an amazing time, everything looks for pretty.

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful place to spend your anniversary. A lovely oasis. I'm sorry the rain continues. We honestly could use rain in MI, but I' not complaining because I'm enjoying the return of warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete