Friday, January 31, 2014

Before his time....

Have you heard the story of Galileo?  Out taking pictures of the moon on a clear, cold winter night, I was reminded of this.

Another children's book.

This biography of Galileo tells how he was the first to turn a telescope to the skies to map the heavens.  For hundreds of years, most people thought the earth was the center of the universe, with the sun and moon - and the other planets - revolving around it.  Galileo wrote about his discoveries as he gazed at the sky through the telescope, discoveries that disturbed the status quo and eventually led to his being locked inside his own house under guard.  Today, we know that Galileo's ideas were right.

Enjoy these pictures showing other pages from the book.




The book, copyrighted in 1996, received the Caldecott Award.

The book was perfect to have available for supplemental reading with our Science unit on Planets and Space.

I hope you are anticipating a good week-end ahead.  It has been a long week for many of you!  Here, we expect high temperatures into the mid-forties - maybe warmer - and a chance of rain through the beginning of the week.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful book Nellie! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat little book. I'll mention this one to my friend with grandchildren... Love it.

    Have a good day.. It's much warmer here! YEAH.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galileo was truly a man before his time wasn't he? It would have been so cool to have a conversation with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie , this is a wonderful book , my older sister found this book at a yard sale and bought it for my kids , I also enjoys it . Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mid forties isn't nearly warm enough for me. We are expecting warmer than that, but also have rains coming, which I'm not looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good information about Galileo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that book in my bookcase. I wanted to collect all of the Caldecott winners at one time. I wanted to have a collection of children's fiction I loved the artwork in this book. I love the books you share because you remind me of these lovely books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie, That is a beautiful book. Hey, I know people who think they are the center of the universe.. sometimes, I just let them rattle on. :):) That care and enjoy your weekend. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this book with us. Galileo was indeed a man before his time.
    Have a great weekend Nellie.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to read and re-read many of these you have shown. I never grow too old to enjoy them. Especially when they are beautifully done. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely book. I love the pictures you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures. I am so excited about the weather. I hope to be out walking both tomorrow and Sunday. Even today felt so good outdoors. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a beautiful book about Galileo and his accomplishments, Nelldean! I can see why irt received the Caldecott Award.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't that amazing, Nellie? What vision he had (literally, I guess)-I did not know he was locked in during his lifetime. How sad.

    Hope you have a good weekend, too. I have the girls here so never a dull moment. They are just off to bed here-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful book. Those illustrations are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will confess that I know very little of his life story, but this book looks most intriguing! I'm sure your students enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. just like us, eh? thinking it's all about us -LOL-. enjoyed this post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete