Friday, January 10, 2014

Keeping in season....

Friday has arrived!  Have you been looking forward to it?  This has been a week that has found many of you snowbound.  Does the week-end promise some time you will be able to leave the house to take care of that "cabin fever?" 

January seemed like a good time to focus on the weather when I was teaching.  One of the first crafts we would do when we returned from our holiday was paper snowflakes.  We adorned the classroom with them!  Most winters, the paper ones were the only ones we would see.:-)

Of course, books always played a part in the study on winter.

One of my favorites.
Have you ever heard of "Snowflake" Bentley?  He was born in 1865 in Vermont in the heart of the "snowbelt."  He was fascinated by snowflakes and dreamed of being able to photograph them in order to see how they were different.


Mary Azarian is the illustrator of the book, which is written by Jacqueline Briggs Martin.

William Bentley's book Snow Crystals is still a resource today for those who want to learn about  snow crystals.

Thank  you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

13 comments:

  1. I remember the kids and I making paper snowflakes. What fun that was. Winter was fun when I was a kid but now I'm tired of winter.

    Tired of being in the freezer for so long. It's -23 Celsius or -9.4 F. this morning. All I can think about is a warm fire to thaw my feet and fingers and warm my body...
    Of course being a farmer, every day is the same, no weekend to sleep in or do something exciting. We have to keep the milk, cream, cheese and all the other dairy delights in the store cooler and freezers.

    Happy Weekend Nellie

    Hugs,
    JB



    ReplyDelete
  2. thats an interesting book, I will have to search for that one, Thanks for sharing this,

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very interesting about Snowflake Bentley. No, I had never heard of him before. It looks interesting. I remember as a kid having a fascination about snowflakes. I remember them back then as being larger than they are these days. Don't know if the atmosphere has changed that much or my memory. ha ha -probably my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I have not heard of this character, but I have always enjoyed making those paper snowflakes! We would sometimes do those in the Sunday School class that I taught, and the children always loved it! Rainy today, but it's going to be a good day, anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Nellie,
    I so, so love _Snowflake Bentley_ and we even have it here in our high school library.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an unabashed lover of winter and snow, I shall check this book out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen that book and own the snow crystals one. Fascinating--the detail and varity. Snowflakes awe me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I'm not familiar with that book. I'll have to check it out for our grandchildren. We had fun making paper snowflakes with them over the Christmas break.

    It's supposed to be in the mid-sixties this weekend, but possibly with rain. Doesn't matter. We plan to get out and about.

    Happy weekend to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only snowflakes I want to see are of the illustrated, or paper variety, that's for sure.

    We have warmed up, finally, but it's gray and dreary. Weatherman says it's going to get better. I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of Snowflake Bentley before but the book looks very interesting.
    Pouring down rain here at 36 degrees. On top of all of that snow everything is a big mess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nellie , haven't heard of Snowflake Bentley before , my kids love to read , schools are closed here until farther notice , so calling all the book stores to see if they have one , if they are out of stock , I will get Barnes & Noble to order it for me , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh- We do that with the kids, too. I love paper snowflakes. They are such wonderful winter fun...the paper ones-not so crazy about the real ones right now.

    That looks like a wonderful book. I love children's books. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of the book but it looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete