Monday, January 27, 2014

Chilly weather....

For many of you, this winter has been more than just chilly!  It has been downright frigid!  Here, we have had colder temperatures than in the past few winters, so it has felt especially chilly to me!  So, it is time to cook some Chili!

Not a very pretty picture, but the chili really tastes good!:)  

This recipe comes from Gina's Skinny recipes at skinnytaste.com, who gives credit to her friend Debbie.

WHITE BEAN TURKEY CHILI
cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. chili powder, to your taste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 1/2 pounds 99% lean ground turkey (may also use ground white meat chicken)
2 16-oz. cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup of fat free chicken broth
1/4 cup of fat free sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium flame.  When hot, spray oil.  Add onions, garlic, saute about 5 minutes.  Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes.  Add salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for 2 minutes.  Add beans and broth; cook uncovered about 10 minutes
- Lower heat and cover, simmer about 45 minutes, mixing occasionally.  Add sour cream and cook 5 more minutes.  Adjust seasoning and salt to taste.
- Top with chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro,, light sour cream, jalapenos, and reduced fat cheddar, if desired.

With yet another wave of winter's cold coming our way once more this week, this will really taste good here!

I hope you have a good Monday!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

16 comments:

  1. I have never tasted white chili. It sounds really good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually been craving chili Nellie! Yummy. I love a good homemade chili :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely chili weather! I'm beginning to think I'm never going to be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange winter weather. My daughter is sick with a fever now, but schools here are closed because of the low temperatures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sure looks good. May have to give that recipe a try! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay warm today. Spring will be there before you know it. I think that looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie-

    I'm so sorry it's been so frigid for you! But cooking and stove simmering does make it cozier, doesn't it?
    That chili sounds really good- I love finding good recipes that use turkey instead of beef . . . we need meals with lots of protein around here to keep teen boy tummies full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chili always warms me up Nellie and yours sounds delicious! I don't think I have ever had white chili either. It sounds sooooo goooood!

    Thank you so much for sharing, stay warm:)

    P.S. If you get a chance, drop by my blog. I really think you will enjoy my latest post:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nellie - that does sound good. I'm writing down that recipe. Thanks for sharing. I have a new blog post today but it isn't appearing in time line. hmmmm.

    http://shufflingalongwithparkinsonsdisease.blogspot.com/2014/01/north-to-alaska.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sure sounds good, Nellie. I have never had white chili. It is something I will try one of these days- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to be honest Nellie, I've never heard of white chilli. I'm not sure I would go for such a meal as I like my red kidney bean chilli and a bit on the hot side.

    I had chilli at a function once and the lady had put sugar in it. I couldn't eat it and some people loved the sweet chilli.

    It's probably all in my head but I like my Chilli the normal old way. I would be willing to try it though . It's probably very good.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to give it a try, I've never eaten white chili.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning Nellie

    At first glance, I thought this was oatmeal. Must be because it's not yet 7am:)

    The chili sounds yummy - it's only 8degrees here this am.

    Stay warm my sweet friend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  14. White chicken chili is a favorite at our house. Another day home from school with this arctic blast and mountains of snow. A good day for chili.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds perfect, and healthy, too! Sharing on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete