Wednesday, January 15, 2014

That newspaper advertising....

.....does it everytime, especially if there is a recipe included!  Now, I have all the recipes I could possibly need for years and years, yet I always find myself evaluating the recipes that are sometimes printed with the advertising inserts.

One such recipe is SOUR CREAM ROLLS.  Once again I was not good at remembering to take pictures except for this......
Ready to go in the oven.

....and this one....

Just out of the oven.

It was probably sometime in December 2013 when this appeared in a Sunday newspaper insert.

SOUR CREAM ROLLS
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat and half white).
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 envelope rapid action yeast (not the regular yeast, but the fast-rising variety).
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg

- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar,  undissolved yeast, and salt in a large mixer bowl.  Heat sour cream, water, and butter until very warm (120 to 130 degrees F).  Add to flour mixture.  Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.  Add egg and remaining 1 1/4 cups flour to make a soft batter.
- Spoon evenly into 12 greased (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups.  Cover; let rise  until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans; cool on wire rack. Yield: 12 rolls

Here is the next step.

Broken open, ready to eat!:-)  The Husband really enjoyed these!

I think some butter would be a nice addition.:-)  China is Strawberries and Cream, now discontinued, by Villeroy and Boch.

It seems that winter is giving another wallop to many of you.  As I compose this on Tuesday evening, we also have a winter weather advisory.  Perhaps there will be a trace of snow from it all.  I hope you will all stay safe and warm!

Remember - that giveaway from Monday's post!  You have until Thursday evening at 8:00 EST to leave your comment about snow!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

18 comments:

  1. You said it, having all the recipes you would ever need, and then perusing advertising inserts; I do the same.

    These sour cream rolls sound delicious and will be great to try! I'm not sure where you live, but we're just North of Chicago and I thought we were going to be blown away yesterday. But it's a balmy 29 now with a little more snow.

    Love the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm the same way about recipes! I have so many on paper, and these days, I copy them into my word processor so I'll have them. Now just tell me how many of those I'll live long enough to try! This one sounds really good and very easy, so it just might find itself on our table at some point. Thanks for the share! Our weather here in our part of the area didn't turn out too nasty, so I hope your area was not bad enough to hinder any outdoor plans you might have. Have a wonderful Wednesday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yumm..those muffins look good. My SIL would love them...she always want so our cream cookies! Lol hope the snow missed you. Love that dish. Amd by the way I'm just like you with the recipes!! Must be a girl thing.

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always saving new recipes that strike my fancy! Most of them I never try since there is only me to cook for.
    The rolls look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, butter! These look delicious and I do believe butter would only enhance the flavor!

    Our weather is, once again, windy and chilly and that doesn't help my aching bones one bit. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a JOKE... We got nothing here (no rain/no snow/nothing)--but it is fairly cold this morning....

    Does the roll taste more like a muffin? Looks good. I'd need some butter also.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these would most definitely hit the spot on a cold winter's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    I think that I have this exact recipe written in my Gram's handwriting!! They are yummy!!!

    I'm off to check out Monday's post.

    Thanks for all the well wishes.

    xo
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, everything is better with butter. They look like muffins. Too bat I can't reach over the computer screen and steal one to taste, hehe...

    How would you rate this recipe? Would you make them again?

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Typo.... I meant to type, too bad I can't reach over...
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I am always wishing for a new kind of dinner roll when I fix soups. I think these would fill the bill. They look so good.
    Well, stay warm and out of that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nellie , what delicious rolls , they are good anytime , and yes pass the butter please , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like another great recipe.
    I LOVE your strawberry plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh, Nellie, those look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sour cream rolls! Those sound delicious. AND I may have a working oven in the next week or so...whooo hoooo- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look wonderful. I'm thinking of making chicken and wild rice soup tomorrow night after work. Those rolls would be a wonderful addition. I wish I had more time for baking during the work week. Another fun recipe to try. We are expecting several inches of snow tomorrow. We're excited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great recipe for me to try. Thanks. Mildred

    ReplyDelete