Sunday, February 19, 2012

By special request....

Earlier this week, at a gathering for bridge at the Senior Center, someone shared these no-bake cookies with us.   I mentioned having made a similar cookie many years ago, and a Circle friend requested that I make some to take along on a Circle Retreat this week-end.  So, on Friday morning, after finally getting around to making those Chocolate Griddle Cakes, I made No Bake Chocolate Cookies.  As promised earlier, here is a picture of those pancakes.

The recipe made a dozen.  The Husband is happy because he now has pancakes in the freezer.:-)

I mentioned a Circle Retreat earlier.  This is a once-a-year outing for any of those in Circle who are interested in attending.  We rent a cabin in a community toward the mountains from Friday until Sunday.  Sometimes there are a few who just come for the day on Saturday.  We have a great time just hanging out, playing games, hiking, talking, and eating.  This picture shows some of the scenery from the deck of the cabin on Saturday morning.


The blue sky was trimmed with wispy, white clouds.

Now, on to the recipe.  This has been in my files for many years, even before the MOTH was part of my life.  It comes from the parent of a child I taught in a summer Kindergarten program for incoming first graders before Kindergarten was a regular part of public school.  I hope the pictures will manage to post with no complication.:-)

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE COOKIES

1 stick butter
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup raisins, nuts, or peanut butter (I used 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup walnuts).
- Bring first four ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil three minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients promptly to chocolate mixture.  Drop immediately by teaspoonfuls on waxed paper.  Cool.  Makes three-four dozen.




So, the top picture shows ingredients needed.  I didn't get the milk from the refrigerator for the picture.  The cocoa I used is Equal Exchange Fair Trade Cocoa, a product sold at our church.  

On this Sunday, we have a rainy day, with the chance of a little snow in the forecast.  At this time, however, there has been no appearance of snow, so I would think the forecast will be moderated somewhat.  

City Girl has come to town, and we hope Muncho Mom will be able to be here tomorrow.  By the way, let me once again refer you to munchomom.com, a food blog.  I think you will be pleased by what you find there.  Be sure to leave a comment!:-)

Next post - Enjoy turkey anytime!

Thank you so much for reading, and I appreciate your comments.

Have a good week!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nellie..first I love Muncho Mom's website...great recipes! Speaking of..I love this recipe for 'no bake' cookies. I made one like this years ago, but have lost the recipe, so thank you!!

    It sounds like your retreat was so much fun! Bless you...for being a work of God!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make these, LONG ago, when my children were still at home, then we had a neighbor who made them all the time. She seemed always to need at least one of the ingredients, and we would "lend" her what she needed, in exchange for a few of the finished ones. I think we came out better in that deal!! Anyway, I have not made them for several years, and I think I might just do another batch now that you have enticed me (it doesn't take much, you know!). Thanks for presenting this temptation to me after all these decades! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my favorite cookies hands down. My sister in law makes them for me at Christmas. As much as I love them I only eat them then. :) I could eat every single cookie on that pan. :)

    ReplyDelete