Monday, February 13, 2012

More Valentine treats....

I call this "Cherry-o Cream Cheese Dessert."  It isn't in a pie plate.:-)
The finished product.
This recipe has been around for years and years, and I really cannot remember making it before.  There is nothing difficult about it, and it doesn't require a long list of hard-to-find ingredients.  It actually takes very little effort.  It came to mind because this is the month of George Washington's birthday, and we all know the story of his experience with that cherry tree!  I believe Borden's can be given credit for seeing that this recipe has endured all these years.

CHERRY-O CREAM CHEESE PIE

1 8-oz. package of cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat).
1 can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used fat-free).
1/2 cup lemon juice (No need for fresh here).
1 can cherry pie filling (Lucky Leaf has no high fructose corn syrup).
Graham cracker crust (I used only whole graham crackers to line the bottom of the dish).

- Beat cream cheese till fluffy.  Add Eagle Brand and blend.  Stir in lemon juice.  Pour into crust; refrigerate for about a half hour.  Spoon on cherry pie filling.  Keep refrigerated.

The Man of the House enjoyed this today.  I told him that it was a Valentine treat.:-)  The red fits right in with the season.

There are some birthdays in the family this week.  You know who you are!  Happy Birthday!  Perhaps you are reading along.

The Lady Vols are looking good tonight - unless, of course, you are a Kentucky fan.:-)

There is the prediction that winter may pay a brief overnight visit.  Crews have been out preparing the roads, just in case.  I'll let you know tomorrow what developed.  I have some "playing" to do, and I don't want anything to interfere.:-)

Next post - Remember that cookie dough?

5 comments:

  1. HA!! A former beau of mine (think at least 45 years ago) used to talk about this dessert, but he never did get the recipe from his mom so I could try my hand at it. It's just as well, since he transferred to the University of AL and found someone else. Never cost me any tears, and I've still never made this. My Man of the House does not generally care for dishes with cream cheese (yes, he's a bit strange!), but I have had this made by other folks and think it is really good! I'm happy that your MOTH was pleased with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, I would love some right now. My mother would always have a cherry dessert for George Washington's birthday. A bakery she loved to go to would always add chocolate hatchets on top of their cakes and pies, in honor of that cherry tree. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie I LOVE this recipe and use to make it when my kids were young. I had forgotten all about it. What a perfect Valentine dessert. YUM! So glad you included the recipe so I don't have to try and dig up mine.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have any idea of the points? I love cream cheese in any form and that look so yummy.
    Well have a wonderful evening. I can't wait for the cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie...I love this recipe,and haven't made it for years! What a great treat for Valentines Day...what a lucky man you have! smile...

    I hope the weather holds out for you tomorrow!

    Cookie dough...hummmm

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete