Thursday, February 23, 2012

More turkey....

Seeing as how I'm sort of on a ground white meat turkey "roll,"  here's another of my favorite recipes.  I have no pictures of this one, either, so you will have to use your imagination, and simply enjoy the recipe.:)  It came from Gina's Skinny Recipes, and she gives credit to her friend, Debbie K., for giving it to her.  This makes a large quantity, so you may want to halve the recipe.  I've done that before.

WHITE BEAN TURKEY CHILI

Cooking spray
2 small onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons chili power, to your taste
1 bay leaf
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 Tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
3 pounds ground white meat turkey breast
4 16-ounce cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
-Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium flame.  When hot, spray oil.  Add onions and garlic; saute about 5 minutes.  Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes.  Add salt, chili powder cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.  Add beans and broth, and cook uncovered about 10 minutes.
-Lower heat and cover.  Simmer about 45 minutes, mixing occasionally.  Add sour cream and cook 5 more minutes.  Adjust seasoning.
-Top with chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, light sour cream, reduced fat cheddar, or jalapenos, if desired.  Servings - 14.  Serving size - 1 cup.

For those of you who are interested, skinnytaste.com has other recipes that are WW-friendly.

This February day was like spring.  Our high temperature reached 77 degrees F, and there are daffodils blooming in our yard!  I am always hopeful that the temperature will be cool enough for the blooms to still be around for St. Patrick's Day; however, there have been very few times that has been the case.

I notice new followers.  Thank you for coming along.  To all of you who are reading - thank you as well.  I enjoy reading your comments.

Next post - One more time....


3 comments:

  1. Hi Nellie...This looks like a great chili recipe and I like that its using ground turkey. Thats a real plus for my husband with him having bone cancer. I would probably use Organic Ground Turkey. We are trying to do all organic but it is hard. Same with a plant based diet. My husband is doing great with it but I am not. I like my diet pepsi, sugar etc. etc. and baking and cooking too much so I haven't given any of that up. But he has. I'm sure he'll outlive me! (smile)

    Hey girlfriend THANKYOU for commenting on my new post and trying the jambalaya. Did your family like it? Or did you already have a recipe that you already have been using. Is there any suggestions to make it better. Let me know. I've been sick the last few days and really had to push to get a post up. I'm so glad you liked my little book even though it looks very 'homemade.' It was one of my first scrapbook projects and I had a blast doing it.

    Hugs to you dear friend!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great-sounding recipe that I'll have to try before too long! Thanks for being on the ball!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nellie- Sounds like another good recipe. All the turkey recipes remind me of that week after Thanksgiving when you have an abundance of turkey!;>) Have a great Friday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete