Monday, February 6, 2012

Two-Week Slaw

As I mentioned yesterday, my activity for today was preparing lunch, to be served tomorrow, for the adult day care participants and staff at our church.  This is something that I do on the first Tuesday of each month.  I usually prepare something ahead that will be cooked at the church, but this time I have prepared something that will only need to be reheated before serving.  The menu will include: Gone All Day Stew, Two-Week Slaw, and Cornbread Muffins.  I was ready to bake some Valentine sugar cookies, but a friend said she had a dessert in mind, so I don't have to plan for that this time.  There are about 20 who will be there.  That includes participants and staff.

Well, the stew is baked and ready for reheating tomorrow, the cornbread muffins are ready to be reheated, and the slaw is waiting in the refrigerator.  I just couldn't seem to get a good picture of the slaw, so the recipe is printed without a picture today.  I have had this recipe for many years.  It comes from a longtime friend who is an amazing cook!

TWO-WEEK SLAW

1 large head of cabbage, shredded (Love that food processor!)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon salt

- Mix cabbage, onion, and green pepper together; sprinkle 1 cup sugar over; DO NOT STIR.
- Bring oil, vinegar, celery seed, dry mustard, and salt to a boil.  Pour over cabbage while hot.  Refrigerate without stirring, for at least four hours and overnight, if possible.  Stir before serving.

Tentative plans for posting tomorrow - not wanting to give TMI, but there are some other things going on in the next couple of days.  If circumstances permit, I'll be back tomorrow.:-)

Thank you so much for reading.  I really enjoy your comments.




6 comments:

  1. why is it called 2 week slaw? i will certainly be making this. it sound great! thanks for the recipe! when i make it i will post it and link to your blog if you want me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay- so does it stay good for two weeks? It sounds really good. I love those do-ahead recipes. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like another winner to me! Hope your next couple of days will not be too stressful, but if you don't have time to post anything, we'll understand! Love to you and your Man of the House! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that makes my mouth water just reading the recipe. I have a relish recipe sort of like that but I love the idea of the cabbage. Oh I bet it is so good.
    You sound really busy Nellie, glad you wrote. Have fun the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this just now and it smells wonderful. i , of course, forgot to mix the vegetables before adding the sugar so mine is sort of layered but i am sure it will still be wonderful. i will post it tomorrow and link to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie, I was just over at Jaz's blog and saw this recipe. I just had to pop over for a visit and am now following you. I also like the sugar cookie recipe very much. xo

    ReplyDelete