Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Enjoy turkey anytime....

Around here, turkey is not reserved for serving only at Thanksgiving, especially turkey breast.  My slow cooker has an oval shape, and I am able to set a turkey breast in it first thing in the morning for it to be ready by dinner time.  This post, however, isn't about THAT kind of turkey.  This is a recipe for using ground turkey breast.  I am fortunate in that I am able to buy this in whatever quantity I wish because it is not a pre-packaged product at my favorite market.:-)  This recipe came in my email from the Food Network collection for Ellie Krieger just last week, so this is the first time for me to make it.  It definitely won't be the last!

TURKEY MEAT LOAF

3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup skim milk
1 medium onion (Slice 1/4 of it, chop the rest).
2 pounds ground turkey breast
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons Worchester sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

- Soak oats in milk while combining the chopped onion, ground turkey, red bell pepper, 2 beaten eggs, the Worchester sauce, ketchup, salt, and pepper.  Then, add in the oat mixture.  Do not overmix, but be sure all ingredients are blended in well.
- Shape into a loaf in a rectangle-size pan.  Pour can of tomato sauce over the loaf, and scatter the sliced onions on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about an hour.

You will need these ingredients.

Ready to bake.

Baked and ready to serve!

I hope you will give this a try.  It was VERY WELL received around here!  

Thank you for reading.  I truly enjoy your comments.

Next post - More of the same.

9 comments:

  1. That looks good, Nellie- I should start using more ground turkey and less ground beef. I know that it is better for us! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy. ( It is time for lunch.)
    I know my family would love it too.
    Thanks for your comment this morning, we had the same problem with raspberries too, they never made it back in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great thanks for sharing Joann

    ReplyDelete
  4. We definitely need to eat more ground turkey. Fabulous idea. We have winter coming back later this week. This would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like ground turkey better than ground beef. I have to admit I do have some dark meat ground in with the breast. Thanks for this recipe. This recipe would also make great turkey sliders I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delish!
    I will give it a try.

    We have a lot of turkey farms around here, and a Norbest store that we can buy ground turkey at.

    I like ground turkey better than ground beef, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the meat loaf turns out.

    Hope this is a great week for ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have also enjoyed turkey meat loaf on various occasions, but never with this exact recipe. I'll definitely have to give it a try! Thanks again for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Nellie this looks so good! We use ground turkey (breast) also.. We've also made tacos with it! It's so much better than hamburger."smile..

    Thanks for this recipe!
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie....OK. I saw a recipe similar to this in a Taste of Home awhile back and went and made it. It was so dry that I through it all out. And it was because I used ground turkey breast. I know it would have been OK if I had used regular ground turkey that has both white and dark meat in it. I paid $5.99 a lb for the ground turkey breast meat. And I was so disappointed. But I am willing to give your recipe a try but only with regular gd. turkey. Yours looks really yummy!

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete