Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More chicken....

One pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces.

One onion, two carrots, and two celery stalks, chopped.

One teaspoon fresh sage came from this sprig in our herb garden .

The dumplings are ready!  Grab a bowl and spoon!

Another "comfort food" that is definitely enjoyed around here is Chicken and Dumplings.  Our preferred dumplings, however, are flat strips that are dropped into the boiling broth.  The dumplings featured in this post are fluffy and biscuit-like, but they are a good option if holding to the Weight Watchers plan.  There are several steps from start to finish, and it takes a bit of time, but I consider the finished product to be well worth the extra effort.

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS WITH SAGE

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 russet potato (8 ounces), cubed
1/4 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (I used frozen).
1 cup frozen peas
1 2/3 cups reduced-fat all-purpose baking mix
2/3 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken; sprinkle with the salt and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.  Transfer the chicken to a bowl; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the same Dutch oven, then add the onion carrots, and celery.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften and brown slightly, about 6 minutes.  Add the broth and potato; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer covered, until the potato is almost tender, about 10 minutes.  Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
Stir in the browned chicken and the peas; heat through, 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the dumplings, combine the baking mix, milk, sage, and black pepper in a bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Drop the dough, by rounded tablespoons, into the simmering stew, making a total of 6 dumplings.  (You are able to see that I made more than six, allowing myself one that was smaller than directed by the recipe).:-)  Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.  Then cover and simmer until the dumplings double in size and are cooked through, about 10 minutes longer.  Servings:  Six - one cup stew/one dumpling.

One month of the new year - 2012 - has passed.  Happy February first to you!  Are you all making progress on those new resolves you made at the beginning of this year?  It's time to take inventory to see how you are doing with those goals.:-)  

The rain today feels almost like an early spring rain.  I commented to the Man of the House today that  it seems like good weather for potatoes and peas to be growing - had they been planted in the garden. The ground is very wet, however, from all the rain, and it will be awhile before planting will be possible anyway.  By this time next week, the long-range forecast has temperatures about 20 degrees cooler!  

Tomorrow - Revisit vegetarian.

I appreciate those of you who are following and reading.  Your comments are enjoyed!




5 comments:

  1. I haven't thought chicken and dumplings in ages. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I like big, fluffy dumplings. When I moved here they make them into little hard dough balls that go to the bottom of the soup/dish. I call them sinkers. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made chicken and dumplings in a very long time, either. My Man of the House is not terribly fond of them because of the texture of the dumplings, but I do think I'll do the stew without the dumplings. That sounds really hearty and warming for that cooling trend we're supposed to get! Thanks for sharing another delightful recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks delicious!
    I love the fluffy dumplings :)
    My daughter and I were just talking about making chicken and dumplings the other day, and she asked me if I could make it with fluffy dumplings.
    Yep.. gonna have to make a batch of chicken and dumplings...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves dumplings, but I can't remember when I've made them last. This looks like a delicious recipe and I do have some sage from my garden. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete