permitted him to take the book home with him, and he finished it by Tuesday! The leftover cookies (less four) also went home with the Munchkins. I wonder if they finished THEM by Tuesday.:-)
Anyway, this recipe was given to Munchomom as part of a shower gift before she was married in 1997. I am not sure about the original source, but the name may have something to do with that.
MOTHER JONES SUGAR COOKIES
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
- Sift these dry ingredients together, then add:
1/2 cup butter
- Cut butter into dry ingredients until pea-size
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup (may need to add more later) sour cream (I have used reduced fat, and even fat free here).
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix and add to first part. You may need to use your hands here, or find that you need to add more sour cream.
- Divide into two portions, wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate, and chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll to 1/2"; sprinkle with sugar, roll again and cut into desired shapes. Bake on greased or sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 11 minutes. Yield: depends on size of cutter, but usually around two to three dozen. If you wish, add other sprinkles, etc. before baking.
|A cup of hot chocolate is coming up!|